Catalytic Question fast answer appreciated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Question fast answer appreciated

ronsdeal

Reaction score
City, State
Taylor, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
98 5.0 AWD. Getting a P0420 code. After accessing the post cat sensors, one was hand tight, as I didn't need a socket. Pulled both post cat sensors, cleaned them, [they looked good before cleaning], and decided to swap bank 1 with bank 2.
I left the wiring the same. After resetting, The same cel code came back.
Did I do that right?:thumbsup: or not? :thumbdwn:

I have a totaled 2000 X, 4.0, SOHC. So, with this info can we determine if the sensor or the cat is bad?
And regardless, are the sensors or the cat swapable/useable from my 2000?

To compound this, the bone yard guy is planning on comming over Wed/Thurs night to pick up and pay me for the 2000.

:exp:Hijacking my own thread... I had a dealer replace my bad 4405 transfer case from the 2000 with a good one I bought from a bone yard. Is it worth it for me to swap out my good one [on the vehicle that is getting salvaged] with the bad one I still have? And approximate used value and R&R time. [ iI know, alot of variables here.]

Thanks to all!! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Technically it is illegal to reuse a cat in the US of A.
The O2 sensors are the same part for the 98 and the 2000.

As for your hijack, the transfercase in your 98 Mountaineer 5.0 is an All Wheel Drive unit and the one behind the SOHC is an Auto-4Wheel Drive unit. Not the same and can not be interchanged (without modification).

Wasn't aware that it would be illegal to use a cat from he 2000 to replace a bad cat [maybe] from the 98.

Still don't know if I have a bad cat or just a bad sensor.

As for the transfer cases.
I know my 5.0 is AWD. My question was only about taking the good 4405 out of the totaled 2000 and replacing it with the bad one that used to be in the 2000. That way I would have a good 4405 to sell.

You could try the sensor trick with the sensors from the 2000, (same part numbers) if you still get the same codes then you know what your dealing with.
I may be wrong, but I thought I read here somewhere that cleaning the o2's were actually bad for them???? Or i could have been hallucinating....

I would take the transfercase out, throw the bad one in the back, and call it a day. Its an easy job and wouldn't take a whole lot of time. To check what transfercases are going for in your area from junkyards you could check www.car-part.com and decide if it is worthwhile to do the job.
If the junkyard reduces what they will give you for the truck, you could strip/part it out yourself if you have the space/time to do so. You will make more cash, but you also have to spend more of your time. You might also have to deal with the neighbors.

I re-read your original post and my response and came to the conclusion that I really should drink my coffee before I start answering posts, perhaps that would help with the comprehension problem I had.

:D I am the same way, attentive wise.
Don't have a neighbor issue. Live in a rural area.
I thought I could just but the bad 4405 back in and the junk price would be the same. He said 400-600. I am figuring on 500.:roll: I have already pulled a nnumber of parts, mostly small stuff.

As for the cleaning of the sensors, I just wire brushed the outside and made sure the slots were open for the gases to pass thru/into.

Back