• Register Today It's free!

Catback

WhitMcRae

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
guys what is the difference between Borla, Flowmaster, Gibson, Jardine-Thorley, and Magna Flow? there is a huge price difference (some of them double others), but the systems look suprisingly similar, and the $200 flowmaster boasts more performance upgrade (HP and torque) than $350 borla. which one is loudest, and best bang for the buck? i appreciate any onfo by anyone who knows the difference or has one and can talk about it. thanks guys.

-whitaker

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've run both Borla and Gibson, and would recomend the Gibson regardless of the fact that they sponsor me. I thought the Borla system was too loud inside the cab. I like loud normally, but on the Explorer it almost made it sound ricey to me. The Gibson is loud when you accelerate, but its a deep, low loud, and when you are cruising its just a good hum. Loud enough to turn heads, but not headaches. Hope this helps. Do a search for catback, there have been tons of posts about exhaust systems.

I'm on my second Magnaflow muffler. Not due to problems, because I went bigger. Magnaflows tend to be very competetively priced and of high quality. My muffler shop carries a lifetime warranty with them.

thanks man. i have done many searches and read i just wanted to specifically refer to the comparison of these few. i have heard from everyone that borla is loud, too loud. i want loud, but not annoying. thanks again, anyone esle i would love comments on comparisons of these systems.

-whitaker

Borla's prices reflect the fact that they are made of 100% stainless, where the others are either a semi-stainless (same material most manufacturers use) or are aluminum coated. IMHO, stainless in any form isn't worth the extra price as it doesn't seem to last any longer than the aluminized material.

Back