caulking help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

caulking help

I need some help choosing the right caulking. I need some caulking that I can seal up all the little cracks between the bed liner and the trim in the back of my explorer. I bed lined it now i want to make it watter proof back there so i am looking for the best sealant one that will stick the best to the trim and the bead liner and also be some what durable.
thanks in advance for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always used a 3M product called "Seam Sealer". It's in a white tube. It works real well and you can paint it to match. You should be able to get it at a Auto Parts store like Car Quest or Napa. If not, try your local paint store.

3M seam sealer.
I use it all the time.

Have you ever had it crack? I ran it on a rain gutter for a Porsche race car and it split. RE-sealed it and never had any trouble. I guess it flexed to much on the race track.

Use clear silicone caulking, flexible, waterproof,can be painted, etc., but most of all cheap! :)

I would just go with black silicone then you will not need to paint it (assuming your bed is black)
If you do go with clear, Make sure its paintable. Many are not.

well... I finished it today. It is all sealed off i used wood putty for the big gaps i also used 3M caulking for the smaller stuff then to finish it all off i bed lined it thanks for all the help. oh yea and i filled up a couple of the little gutter things that routed the water behind the trim with some black silicone and again thanks for all the help every one.

well... I finished it today. It is all sealed off i used wood putty for the big gaps i also used 3M caulking for the smaller stuff then to finish it all off i bed lined it thanks for all the help. oh yea and i filled up a couple of the little gutter things that routed the water behind the trim with some black silicone and again thanks for all the help every one.

Glad to see you got it done.
Keep in mind that wood filler is not designed to fill large gaps nor is it designed to be bounced and moved around in the back of a truck. So dont be surprised if it starts to crack or fall out all together.
Being a hardwood floor guy I see wood filler fail on a regular basis due to the natural movement of the wood alone.
But hell if it cracks, Just fill it again with something more plyable like silicone.

Glad to see you got it done.
Keep in mind that wood filler is not designed to fill large gaps nor is it designed to be bounced and moved around in the back of a truck. So dont be surprised if it starts to crack or fall out all together.
Being a hardwood floor guy I see wood filler fail on a regular basis due to the natural movement of the wood alone.
But hell if it cracks, Just fill it again with something more plyable like silacone.

thanks for the info

Have you ever had it crack? .
Not the stuff I use. It stays fairly flexable. The only issue is to make sure it dries throughrly befor painting. 4-6 hours.

3M has DOZENS of seam sealers. odds are good we are talking about two different ones.

The one I used to use was in a off white tube. The sealer was kind of a creamy dingy white. Smeared real nice, but HORRID to get off your hands. I forget now what the number was on it. Have you tried the liquid nails line of seam sealer. They say it's what most auto makers use. It would glue a rad support without even spot welding and hold!:eek: That stuff is nuts!:confused:

Back