CEL: Code P0430

97LTD

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 and '98 LTD
Hello,

I had the same code about 10,000 miles ago and replaced the catalytic coverter on the right side. Today, the light came back on with the same code, I never had any problems with the engine whatsoever. What could cause the same code to come back on? New catalytic converter going bad again?

a mechanic I trust (not to many of those around) once told me that "catalytic converters don't die, they're murdered". what this means is that there's something wrong with the engine (for example; burning or leaking oil into the exhaust system, or too much unburned fuel going into the exhaust) these things ruin the converter. other things that can also cause cat problems are bad/worn out upstream O2 sensors, a bad thermostat, a bad CTS, as these things can prevent your vehicle from going into closed loop mode. just replacing the cat is not necessarily the answer (and cats expensive).

Your mechanic has good point about "being murdered".

I took the Explorer to the dealer to diagnose why the code came back on. They have a scanner tool that reads the information in the Explorer computer.

"Check Engine Light is on 1.00 ran EEC code P0430, checked PID data found bank 2 cat (catalytic) monitor switching same as the front 02 sensor performed cranking 2 test failed CO2 was at 10% efficiency, recommend replace bank 2 cat converter assy on the driver side."

As I mentioned I replaced one converter on the passenger side, they recommended to replace the drivers side. They called the muffler shop that replaced my converter last year, they wanted me to come by so I did, and they will replace the other side converter.

The dealer and muffler shop has good relations as the dealer has several of their customer go there. The dealer waived the charges of diagnostic which I am appreciated.

Just to update. :)

a mechanic I trust (not to many of those around) once told me that "catalytic converters don't die, they're murdered". what this means is that there's something wrong with the engine (for example; burning or leaking oil into the exhaust system, or too much unburned fuel going into the exhaust) these things ruin the converter. other things that can also cause cat problems are bad/worn out upstream O2 sensors, a bad thermostat, a bad CTS, as these things can prevent your vehicle from going into closed loop mode. just replacing the cat is not necessarily the answer (and cats expensive).

Back