• Register Today It's free!

CEL issue

sths0609

Reaction score
City, State
Millsboro, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
It's a little long, but necessary to explain my issue.

OK.. so it all started Mother's Day weekend...

That Saturday, I went to Baltimore (about a 2.5 hr ride) to see a comedy show, I figured what better time to test out the Explorer's capabilities going long distance. It did very well going and coming, I averaged 23.5 mpg. Not bad for a 17 yr. old truck with 121k mi. I didn't drive it at all on Sunday, but Monday on my way to work, the CEL came on. I was going to check it when I got to work until I remembered that this is an OBD I vehicle. On the way home later that day, the CEL didn't come back on, and it didn't on Tuesday either, so I thought it was a fluke thing from the long distance drive. There are 6 roads near my house that have really long stretches. 3 of which are major highways, but the other 3 are just roads that for like 25-30 miles at a time there aren't any traffic lights at all and on Wednesday night I was on one of said roads, and while on those long stretches, I'd put cc on. When I got to the end, I had to stop at the traffic light and not 3 miles after I got going again, the CEL light came on. It continued to do that everytime I'd be on a long stretch of road for a while with cc on. Once I'd come to a stop and get going again, it'd come on. Well now for the past few days it'll come on at any time. I can be riding down the road, and let up off the gas and it'll hestitate a bit, get itself together and then the light'll come on.

Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

You need to get the code read. But if I had to guess I'd say it's EGR related because you have no drivability issues. But that's nothing more than a guess.

Its a guessing game till you have the code pulled.

Back