center console part - is this for real? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

center console part - is this for real?

barbinatrix

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
I have a '99 Sport. This morning, the plastic underlining to the center console armrest cracked and broke off. My local dealer reports that the entire armrest must be replaced, but I'm skeptical. Is he being fothright, or trying to rob another clueless woman?? Thank you for any insight!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, same thing happened to mine after only a few months. Went to the dealership and they told me the same thing. Wanted something like $200 for the whole console. Guess I might just have to bite the bullet and get the whole thing. Check junk yards also sometimes you might find one.

JT

Barbinatrix - great name!

Try this link. It's for a '92 but costs zero to check it out see if it will work. Go about 2/3 down, first item under "Interior and body"

Dead Link Removed

bob sends

Same thing happened to my 92. I used metal strapping similar to a door hinge. Drilled the top and bottom out and bolted it together using the strapping. Its not a visible piece so I didn't worry about the painting it the same color as the rest of my interior.

Thanks so much! You guys have really helpful!

Ya, Mine did that also. Here in Canada, the dealer wanted 340 bucks for the arm rest. I said forget it. I fixed it with some epoxy and a special mod. Since the epoxy isn't really strong enough to hold it together on it's own, I created a folding support for it. I took a small hinge (like from a cabinet door) attached a 4 inch support too it. (I used a grey piece of my sons LEGO, built to 4 inches). So on the hinge, when you lift the armrest, the support fold down out of the way for access to the storage under the armrest.

Hope that helps.
Hollowpoint

You might want to check out this thread, Dead Link Removed The guy's user name is Paxton, he may be able to sell you just the piece/pieces that you need for much cheaper than the dealership.

Back