changed iac valve, now revs to 3k rpm on start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changed iac valve, now revs to 3k rpm on start up

Gdizzo

Reaction score
City, State
waianae hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer XLT
i just changed my IAC valve on my 2002 4.6, i changed it because of rough idle. when i took the old one off it was missing the spring. but now it idles fine and runs smooth. but on startup it revs to almost 3k rpm for about 5 seconds then drops to normal idle rpm. is this normal? kinda freaked me out thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you reset the PCM?

What brand IAC? A lot of people have issues if using anything other than OEM.

You didn't damage a vacuum like in the process did you?....like the rubber elbow which might be old and fragile if you've never changed it out?

@Gdizzo
If 3000 rpm upon start-up is frightening or of concern, one might try restricting the air flow a bit by reducing the size of one of the holes allowing airflow through the IAC. I can't speak with knowledge of the 4.6L IAC, but the old 5.0L as used in Mustang, had holes about the size of a dime, call it 5/8 inch diameter. Area about 0.3 sq. in. If reduced to 1/2 inch, area = 0.2 sq. in. That's 30% less. I'd press a suitably-sized washer in one hole, having the appropriate hole size, and see what happens.

Here's how Ford's start-up scheme works. Upon cranking the engine, IAC is opened fully, allowing max. air flow. Upon firing, PCM detects the quick increase in rpm, and immediately closes down the IAC while it reduces injected fuel richness, the two being controlled to allow eng. rpms to drop slowly back to acceptable level. The drop-down is dependent on air and eng. coolant temperature, so it takes longer in Chicago in winter than in the Desert where I hang out.

I hate the sudden speed-flare, as they call it. Mine goes to 2200, I'd try my scheme above, but can't: NO IAC! Not a damned thing I can do about it, except the "hold pedal to floor" thing, which remains to be tried. imp

did you do a reset after changing the iac.when i change mine it did that.I did a reset when it was cold and is dropped it down to about 1200 rpms..Hope this helps

When I start mine up the RPM shoots up to 1900 for a split second then immediately drops to 1500 then within 5 seconds it drops down to 1250. Then is slowly drops down to 1000 within a minute depending how cold it is. When it warms up it idles at 675 to 690.

When I start mine up the RPM shoots up to 1900 for a split second then immediately drops to 1500 then within 5 seconds it drops down to 1250. Then is slowly drops down to 1000 within a minute depending how cold it is. When it warms up it idles at 675 to 690.
@Syber Tiger
Exactly how my '04 replacement TB works. Have you replaced yours, or is it still OEM? imp

@Syber Tiger
Exactly how my '04 replacement TB works. Have you replaced yours, or is it still OEM? imp

Original...replaced IAC

Original...replaced IAC
@Syber Tiger
The OEM Ford TB has a mfr. named on it, not Ford. IMO, once you get into Drive By Wire, things get far more complex. The IAC is a simeple straightforward device; the DBW TB is not. If I had known then what I know now, I would haver not bought a 2004, for that reason. imp

Back