changing temp gauge sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing temp gauge sensor

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer spo Utility
My question is how hard is it to change the gauge temp sensor and temp sensor for the computer? I know they right next to each other.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy. Pretty much just a box wrench and a screwdriver.

Be WARNED, the brass fittings that the sensors thread into are known to strip out the housing, most people convert to the later housing with clip in sensors to remedy this.

Yep...you'll never get that temp gauge sender out as the brass nut inside will just spin. However, for whatever reason, I've never had a problem removing the ECT sensor when out junk-yarding for parts. Time to upgrade t-stat housing and sensors if you do need to replace the gauge sending sensor.

I found a whole unit on e-bay and going to get it. thanks you for the help.

Hope it's not a Four Seasons or Dorman. They aren't worth a crap!

All I'm going to say is look where it's made (China). I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy doing this job (or, most any other repair jobs) over and over again. These cheap aftermarkets are notorious for leaking within a short time. I installed a Four Seasons and it lasted all of about 2 wks. Thought I'd save some money...yeah, right. The recommended upgrade by most on this site is the following:

- RH144 Motorcraft Lwr Thermostat Housing (reuse your existing upper t-stat housing. You'll need to gently tap out the metal sleeves around the three mtg holes of the existing upper housing so it will fit over the new lower housing)
- SW6146 Motorcraft Temperature Sender Sensor (clip-in style)
- DY1269 Motorcraft Temperature Gauge Sensor (clip-in style)
- RG614 Motorcraft T-stat Lwr Seal
- New Thermostat of your choosing (I went with a Motorcraft RT1160) and gasket

I found Rockauto.com had the best prices...but, you could also search Amazon/e-Bay.

Back