Check Charging System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Charging System

shannonleon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hi,

This might be a stupid question but, I have a 07 Explorer. Just bought it and when I turn the key to the ON position it says Check Charging System in the dash. Once I start the car it goes away. I asked the service section at the dealer and they say its normal for explorer since the battery is discharging in the ON position. Is this true?
The car has been having a little difficulty starting in cold weather like -10F.

Just making sure this isn't as issue.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where the hell has it been -10°F? Cripes, I doubt I would want to start either! I think those mechanics are probably right about the light, but not sure. Anyway, I wouldn't think twice about investing in a fresh battery if you're living in those conditions.

I live in North Dakota :)
The Check Charging System comes up regardless of the weather...hot or cold day.
Just trouble starting on cold days, so not sure if something is starting to go bad. And Yes I do have a new battery.
I just need to make sure all explorers say this message in the ON position. I have had other fords and none have done this.

Sounds normal to me, regardless of temperature. And my Sport Trac saw -10 just last week.

What kind of trouble are you getting when starting on cold days? Lots of cranks but no rollover? Or just no movement at all?

It takes like 4-5 cranks before rollover. I just put a remote start in it too and cant rely on it since it might have not started...really annoying when you walk out and find out the car didnt start.
does you sport trac say Check Charging System in the key ON position too?

Maybe a engine oil pre-heater is needed?

Check charging system warning is going to come on anytime the car is in the "On" position but not running. Since the car is not running the system see no charging and throws the light! It is perfectly normal! Your slow start can be attributed to a few factors.

The first thing is the battery could be weak and extreme cold temperatures do not help!
I would recommend that you have the Battery tested to ensure its at peak performance!

Another issue in cold weather is Oil! Engine oil gets thick in cold temps, this will make the force needed to turn the engine higher than normal. A fix for this is either a Engine block heater or a oil pan heater to keep the oil in a nice viscous state!

Good luck!

It takes like 4-5 cranks before rollover. I just put a remote start in it too and cant rely on it since it might have not started...really annoying when you walk out and find out the car didnt start.
does you sport trac say Check Charging System in the key ON position too?

Yep, happens whenever I let it sit with the key in engine off, but I almost never do that.

Check charging system warning is going to come on anytime the car is in the "On" position but not running. Since the car is not running the system see no charging and throws the light! It is perfectly normal! Your slow start can be attributed to a few factors.

The first thing is the battery could be weak and extreme cold temperatures do not help!
I would recommend that you have the Battery tested to ensure its at peak performance!

Another issue in cold weather is Oil! Engine oil gets thick in cold temps, this will make the force needed to turn the engine higher than normal. A fix for this is either a Engine block heater or a oil pan heater to keep the oil in a nice viscous state!

Good luck!

Great advice here. Also look into full synthetic oil, it maintains its viscosity in the cold better than traditional oil.

As far as the Remote Start not getting it done, it can be programmed to crank longer. Also, a Two-Way system will verify on your key fob that it has started.

What brand and size is that "new battery"? If it's really new, the folks who sold it to you ought to give you credit for it towards a serious Group Size 65, 850 CCA battery from Johnson Controls. With a coupon code, you can get the price close to $100.00.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it wouldn't hurt to go over the connections on the battery and starter solenoid. Hell, the solenoid itself may have a poor contactor, due to arcing.

Thanks everyone for your support, I really appreciate it!!
Thats not the battery I have. Checked the battery and alternator and they seem to be working fine. Just too cold for the car to handle maybe..Ill just have to live with :(
As far as the remote start goes I do have a 2way. Got one from OmegaLink. Bought it because installation on those are very easy. The problem with that is as soon as it cranks the system assumes that car has started even though it didnt....sucks would not recommend it.

Shannon, if that battery is really worth a darn, then it should spin the engine nice and quick, even that cold. I have a feeling all its power is not making it to the starter motor. Most likely, whoever installed the battery, made sure its connections were clean & tight. So, I'm guessing the connection from the battery to the solenoid or solenoid to starter are poor.

I'd pull those apart, clean them and snug them back up good. There's also the chance the solenoid itself isn't passing along all the power. If the contactor inside is all carboned up, it won't work very well. Lastly, the starter may need a rebuild.

The cold exacerbates any weak links in that chain. You can overcome some of those issues by throwing more power at it, via a better battery, but eventually you have to address the real problem. I wouldn't suffer with it like that, especially after going through the trouble and expense of installing the Remote Start.

Back