Check engine light with a code # P0174. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check engine light with a code # P0174.

S7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
Hi my explorer...an 02 4.0 sohc is now throwing a cel and from what ive been reading ive heard its either an elbow thats sucking in air or the maf...where would I find this fabled elbow thats apparently notorious for causing problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just out of curiosity...is there any way for me to check the gaskets without ripping it apart or no? I am not horribly mechanically inclined and im not confident in taking apart the engine...hoses are one thing but actual unbolting and retorqueing im not sure of at all. Unless it were a cummins...then I could in my sleep lmao

PCV elbow, it's in front of the right side of the intake. Oil accumulate in them and they soften and crack/split on the underside. Motorcraft KCV190 replacement #.
PCVelbow.jpg

KCV190PCVElbowHose.jpg

Thank you! I will check that today! I also noticed for some reason one of my hoses doesnt have a clamp on it and seems fluted at the end...now im no genius but im assuming that all hoses are supposed to be clamped where they connect lol

Checking for vacuum leaks

I hope the elbow fixes the problem. Here are a couple of tips for finding vacuum leaks in case you need them for future reference.

There are 2 methods that I normally use to check for vacuum leaks with tearing everything apart.

The first is to use your ears to try to pin point the location and then use a hand or finger to see where the second leak is. It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty reliable.

The second is to get a can of carburetor cleaner from your local parts storr and lightly spray around vacuum lines and/or intake.ONLY DO THIS WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD!!! Carburetor cleaner is extremely flammable.

Back