• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light

privetryan89

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
So my check engine light has been on for about three years. I've been able to exempt the inspection because I drive only around my small town and to college which isn't a lot of miles. The code reads P0136 (O2 sensor circuit function Bank 1 Sensor 2). I've replaced the sensor twice and cleared the code but it keeps reading that code.

Does anyone know what's wrong cause I'm stumped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe you replaced the wrong one... maybe

i know i didn't do that cause i had my mechanic, who takes care a fleet of explorers for my dad's company, pointed out which one to take out. Thats why I have no idea what's wrong.

well... then maybe the wiring needs to be checked

The Bank 1, Sensor 2 code doesn't necessarily mean the O2 sensor is bad. It means that the signal it's sending to the ECM isn't matching the preset parameters for that particular map. Most likely, the passenger side Cat isn't working up to snuff, or there is an exhaust leak somewhere between the 2 right side sensors.

i hope its something easy like wiring or a leak. i really dont have the money for a new cat.

ok so i was under the Exploder the other day and I think I found the problem. The connector to the O2 sensor that I replaced melted around the exhaust. So now I have to find new connectors.

Do they make replacement connectors or do I have to solder each individual wire to the corresponding wire?

Back