check guage light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

check guage light

ozzie4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Perth
hi
first thing in the morning the check guage light comes on and the temperature and oil pressure guages dont work.
after traveling a few k's the light goes off and the guages start working

oh its a 1999 XLT ford explorer

any ideas
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The temp should be down in the morning.
Check the oil pressure switch, the electrical connection may be lose or dirty.

Exactly. If your oil pressure switch isnt picking anything up thats when your check guage will come on. Temp takes about 5 minutes of engine running to start picking something up. It you are looking at the engine from the front the oil pressure switch is on the right, under/behind the power steering and ac. It's a one wire connection. Green on my explorer.

I have the same exact issue. It only seems to happen during the cold months, on real chilly mornings. Check gauge light comes on, and no reading on the oil pressure gauge. After 5 minutes of driving, the oil pressure gauge comes alive, and the Check gauge light turns off.

I changed my OP sending unit out and "PROBLEM SOLVED". On the 5.0, it's difficult to get to but not impossible.It took a long extension and a break-over to get it out.

mine did this before i would check the oil make sure its topped off if so try half a quart see if that helps.

thanks guys, problem solved took the plug off gave it a blow out, cleand the contact on the sender with a bit of emery, no more check guage light

Back