Check out my new Hella FF 100's on my 2003 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check out my new Hella FF 100's on my 2003 EB

Just got done putting in my new FF 100's on my 2003 Eddie Bauer. These are the Euro (Driving) beams.

I mounted them on the thin angled plate running behind the front bumper.

Mounting was A+, they definitely give you a lot of choices on orientation of the bracket to the light. I removed the front grill and accesed the area through the bumper and from the top grill area.

Kit also came with a nice big harness with modular clips for all connections so very little crimping of connectors was needed. I was prepared with tons of wire and clips from past installations on other my old explorer, but didn't need it.

In the picture of the underhood, the red conduit is my switch leg across the firewall, through the firewall, then I brought it back to the drivers side once in the cabin. Too much stuff to drill around on the drivers side firewall.

The other parts of the harness are in black plastic sheathing (included on harness in kit) and tie-wrapped out of site. Relay is mounted behind fuse box on drivers side engine compartment.

Very nice and bright, have relay tied to high-beam switch (they come on with the high beams...if the dash mounted switch is in "on" position.

Pictures:

Hella%20Conduit%20across%20firewall.jpg

Hella%20Dash%20switch.jpg

Hella%20Side%20View.jpg

Hella%20Top%20View.jpg

Hella%20conduit%20and%20relay.jpg

Hella%20with%20stone%20shields.jpg

Hella%20without%20stone%20shields.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beautiful X! You definitely picked the best spot for the lights. Do they shine real bright?

They are easily as bright as the high-beam headlights with stock bulbs (may get silverstars later).

They are a perfect fit for that part of the nose, I challenge anyone to get a larger light in those openings without modifying the bodywork :)

Thats the best installation when you cant tell that there has been an installation. Very pro looking.
And the lights look like they are factory the way they follow the grill/bumper lines.
You ought to be proud of yourself.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Thats the best installation when you cant tell that there has been an installation. Very pro looking.
And the lights look like they are factory the way they follow the grill/bumper lines.
You ought to be proud of yourself.

That's exactly what I was going for, the "factory" look. If I want to show them off I'll put the stone shields on. I also went a little nuts and got the red conduit for under the hood. Black would have matched all the factory stuff, but it's easier to show someone how you did it if you have a different color...and it did match the red.

I'm looking forward to the first time someone says "Hey, I have an explorer and mine didn't come with lights like that, was it an option from Ford?" :)

very nice truck i LOVE the red =) but ur truck is to clean u must hit a mud hole pronto =) hehe

also is that little black switch the switch for the fogs? that looks like it came as a factory kill switch i dont think anyone would ever guess that u did that

i dare to ask how long did it take?

Originally posted by mhn3773
very nice truck i LOVE the red =) but ur truck is to clean u must hit a mud hole pronto =) hehe

also is that little black switch the switch for the fogs? that looks like it came as a factory kill switch i dont think anyone would ever guess that u did that

i dare to ask how long did it take?

That switch is actually a lighted green switch. It only glows green when the light is on, I figure if it bugs me I can put a black one in later on. I actually had two of them come with the hellas in the kit.

I bought all my wire, etc ahead of time and started yesterday morning around 10 am. The drilling and mounting of the lights took the longest, about an hour because it's kinda tight getting your hands back there to mount them. I put the brackets on the lights in the approximate position I wanted, then attached the whole light and bracket to the steel piece on the Explorer.

The rest was just wiring, part of their harness was a 4 ft switch leg, but I wanted to go through the firewall on the pass side so I spliced in my own wire, put red conduit on (all other wiring is protected by the black plastic sheathing they had on the harness provided, put a grommet in the firewall (also in kit, but was an extra that is used to seal the wire coming out of the light housing), and the rest was tie-wrapping and just taking my sweet time making it pretty. Total time from opening hood to pictures was 10am to 2pm..with 30 minute lunch in the middle.

Thanks for the compliments...I like it too hehe

Looks great! I think I found an X-mas present for my mom ;) Dad wants a K&N for his truck and get the sis a KKM. Dang, this is gonna be an expensive one!!

I know what you mean by the wiring being a pain. We put in the stock fog lights cuz it didn't come with them and they were a total pain!

Wow that is a great install!!!!

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Looks great! I think I found an X-mas present for my mom ;) Dad wants a K&N for his truck and get the sis a KKM. Dang, this is gonna be an expensive one!!

These were pretty reasonable. The whole kit was $108 + Shipping. I got them from a place I have used in the past who is online and in PA (not sure if I can post their name here). The kit's box was literally bulging because there were so many extras provided.

2 switches
heavy duty harness
bags of crimp connectors
extra grommets
20 ft of black 16 guage wire

They should be sweet for the winter.

The Install of the lights look great! I would have cut the wires and Lumn to length. But that is the only thing I would change.

:thumbsup: Good Mod!

Very nice and bright, have relay tied to high-beam switch (they come on with the high beams...if the dash mounted switch is in "on" position.

I am loving that!

Back