Check Those Spare Tires Kids!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Those Spare Tires Kids!!!

OK,

Here goes...

Who has checked the air in the spare lately?

Honestly?

Bosslady had a bolt in her tire, like a good drone I went to her work site and pulled the suspect tire and put the spare on till I could get the tire fixed the same day.

Good Idea NO! not if the spare is almost flat!!!!

Jack is now stuck so I managed to get it out.

All Good.

CHECK THAT SPARE!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’s a spare? Haven’t carried one in almost 15 years.

Obscure item that comes in handy from time to time but rarely is used except in-case of dire need.

Usually round and made of rubber compound and by all appearances resembles a tire.

So....

Smart Ars....

LOL!

I check mine a long time ago, and also just recently, and, it's STILL flat.

If it's AWD, you can't or shouldn't use the spare.

I had to pull my front drive shaft last month after the AWD died(locked up), and killed the front diff. Now I'm 2WD and I rotated the new spare onto the front left. The worst tire went under the back, and the new one is getting worn faster than the rest. I'm getting good use from the spare for the moment.

LoL Funny you should mention spare tires... Last week, my wife (again) rubbed against her left front tire against a curb while parking.I get a call (at work) that she's got a flat. I said I'd head that way after work and put the spare on. Got to her place of work (In the middle of an AZ dust storm) got out the spare and jack only to find the spare flat.. Oh well, its a donut spare, small job for the compressor I keep in the Explorer. I jack the car up, pull off the flat, and go to put on the spare (which has been inflating as I do the rest of the job). As I go to bolt on the spare on, (that's right, Mercedes have lug bolts not nuts) I discover that the spare requires shorter bolts than the regular wheel, and a previous owner decided they didn't need to be carried with the spare. So now I have an inflated (brand new) spare, but no way to install it. So I angrily left the car on the jack, took the regular wheel to the nearest Walmart and bought the closest thing they had to a tire resembling the other three wheels on the car. The wife and I hang out at Walmart for 45 minutes, pick up the wheel and head back so I can install it. I got off work at 3:30 and we got home at 6:30.

So... not only should you check your spare, but make sure you have ALL the things you'll need to use it! (which reminds me... I better get a search done for those &*&^$% Mercedes spare wheel bolts!)

Lol, had a blow out on the right rear tire 2 hours ago on the way to the lake. No warning, no tpms, checked the tires and the spare last Friday. Tire is 6 months old. Probably road hazzard.

LoL Funny you should mention spare tires... Last week, my wife (again) rubbed against her left front tire against a curb while parking.I get a call (at work) that she's got a flat. I said I'd head that way after work and put the spare on. Got to her place of work (In the middle of an AZ dust storm) got out the spare and jack only to find the spare flat.. Oh well, its a donut spare, small job for the compressor I keep in the Explorer. I jack the car up, pull off the flat, and go to put on the spare (which has been inflating as I do the rest of the job). As I go to bolt on the spare on, (that's right, Mercedes have lug bolts not nuts) I discover that the spare requires shorter bolts than the regular wheel, and a previous owner decided they didn't need to be carried with the spare. So now I have an inflated (brand new) spare, but no way to install it. So I angrily left the car on the jack, took the regular wheel to the nearest Walmart and bought the closest thing they had to a tire resembling the other three wheels on the car. The wife and I hang out at Walmart for 45 minutes, pick up the wheel and head back so I can install it. I got off work at 3:30 and we got home at 6:30.

So... not only should you check your spare, but make sure you have ALL the things you'll need to use it! (which reminds me... I better get a search done for those &*&^$% Mercedes spare wheel bolts!)

Funny, I have some Mercedes lug bolts from the 18" wheels I bought 10 years ago. They were about 1.5" long or so, in small bags. I didn't use those or the Mercedes center caps they sent. I had requested the blank center caps, and they had re-drilled the wheels to fit my Ford, so they knew what it was for. The Mercedes bolt circle was 114mm, whereas ours is 114.3mm, odd wheels I'm going to scrap when the tires or worn out.

As often as my wife (kind, wonderful woman that she is) hits curbs with that thing I'd better get a set of spare wheel bolts... and soon! LoL

If it's AWD, you can't or shouldn't use the spare.

I had to pull my front drive shaft last month after the AWD died(locked up), and killed the front diff. Now I'm 2WD and I rotated the new spare onto the front left. The worst tire went under the back, and the new one is getting worn faster than the rest. I'm getting good use from the spare for the moment.
Alternatively, carry a matching wheel for your spare and do 5-tire rotation.

Alternatively, carry a matching wheel for your spare and do 5-tire rotation.

I have my spare on a matching Limited wheel(I own 13 of them). It'd be very hard to rotate fives tires to wear evenly, when one is not wearing at all, all of the time. I prefer to settle on a spare which is about half worn out. Some of the time it will be possible to use it as a spare. But I repair flats on the vehicle anyway if possible, it's much faster and easier than swapping tires.

Back