• Register Today It's free!

Choices on New X

Explorer94GV

Reaction score
City, State
Springdale, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT 97' XLT AWD V8
Ok i have a chance to get either a 99 Exploder XLT V8 w/ 53k or a 98 Exploder Eddie Bauer V8 w/64k. Not sure yet if they are 4wd,2wd,orAWD im going to check today after work. My question is are the v8 engines more durable and did Ford fix the tranny problem in these years? I want the v8 but if it is lacking there is a 00 Exploder LTD w/25k also that i'm looking at. I just want something newer with lower miles so i can cut the chances of having problems. I want to hear feedback from owners of these years problems/advantages. BTW im still keep my 94' Exploder since its paid off
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine and tranny are stong and longlasting in all the V8 explorers. The only problem I can think of with these offhand is that the V8's tend to get a passenger side exhuast leak at very low mileages. Easily fixed with a set of headers though :D

I take it you're not gonna offroad it? If not, then get the 2WD for sure. The AWD system is nice, but it's a power (and gas) hog.

I say get the 99, it's newer and has less stuff that will break.

I think most of the V8s were AWD, and yes, it may suck gas. But the drivetrains are very durable. The LTD will probably have the SOHC, which as fairly powerful, but has the weaker tranny and upper motor. But it will get better mileage.

I'd say get the newer V8 though. Screw the mileage, you won't have to worry about nearly as much, and it'll be good in bad weather.

ok here is the news on them. The 99' Explorer XLT V8 AWD with 53k asking price is 16k. The 98' Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD with 63k asking price is 15k. No it doesnt snow here in arkansas so im not worried about that. No i dont offroad this would be a street truck only. I have not test drove these yet but will hopefully this upcoming week. I'm going to stay away from the 00' than if it has the weak tranny i just dont want to go thourgh the hassle again. As far as gas mileage I dont care about that I know its going to be bad and i have alotted money for that. It has to be better than what i get now a grossly 11-12 in my 94 2wd v6:mad: I will have more up when i find out more i have been working almost all week no damn time.

is the xlt loaded?
what are the difference in options between the eddie and the xlt?

what are the colors?
and which do you like better as of right now, what gasve you the best first impression?

Between the V8s I think it just depends on which one you like better colorwise, options, etc. You should see what maintenance has been done to them, as around 60k is a good time for plugs, plug wires, fluids, etc.

well....Personally they are both nice and I just want the one that has been kept up the best. The xlt is well an xlt package line it has cloth seats, the stock cd changer, the crappy stock sub, and i dont really care for the rims but that is all stuff i can change later on. The eddie bauer is leather, premium sound (doesnt matter im going to move some of my other system to replace it anyways) and the paint on it is really good no scratches anywhere. I have the vin numbers does anyone have a carfax account that they can run them for me? I just want to purchase a vehicle that was up kept well so that i can take over on keeping it up well. I filled out the bank papers today and we will see what happens on monday to see what else on my part i need to do. Either way they both look nice so either one will suit me fine i will see if i can get a pic up of both of them for you guys.

Back