• Register Today It's free!

Cleaned engine, need help

mac66

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling Hts Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I decided to clean the engine with degreaser. Read the directions and covered the electronic ignition, intake and most of the wire connectors. Sprayed the stuff on and then washed it off with a hose. When I started the engine, it would idle but giving it gas would make it deisel, sputter, shake etc.but it still idles fine. I sprayed all the connections and such with wd40, even replaced the plugs, wires etc since that is what I was going to do anyway. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe WD40 is conductive, but i could be wrong. also, did you cover your alternator?

jgilbs said:
I don't believe WD40 is conductive, but i could be wrong. also, did you cover your alternator?

uh, no

And here is what it does. It idles around 800-900 prms and if given gas a little at a time it will increase rpms to around 1500 and then the bottom just drops out. The tach will go to 0 but the engine will go back to idle. Feathering gets the tach back to 8-900.

Alternator has nothing to do with the problem IMO, got a yard blower? blow down the engine bigtime

jgilbs said:

Guess what the WD stands for?

Water Displacement. That was a good call.

I would let the engine dry more. You may have gotten the MAS wet, or something else. Did you spray the computer, or the fuse box? Any electrical components on the firewall? Is your check engine light on?

I sprayed my engine down pretty good without covering anything and just let it sit overnight to dry. Worth a shot.

sounds like a TPS or MAF prob

if you got your MAF wet somhow you can run it without it if you unplug it from the wires. I hydrolocked my engine and had to take my MAF out to dry cuz it would stall when the RPM's got higher than idle. Try it, maybe its an odd or end problem

general x said:
if you got your MAF wet somhow you can run it without it if you unplug it from the wires. I hydrolocked my engine and had to take my MAF out to dry cuz it would stall when the RPM's got higher than idle. Try it, maybe its an odd or end problem

The tps is not necessary for your X to run either ;)

Unplugging sensors is one way to troubleshoot, but not having them will make the X run something aweful, and not as designed. I would do this as a last resort. If you did bust a sensor, your CEL will come on after some driving around.

It ran better without the MAF than it did with it, lol :banghead:

Prolly cuz it was full of water

On my truck, if you disconnect TPS it will idle but as soon as you hit the gas the motor will die. I just had a similar problem a little while ago after I cleaned the MAF. I had to fan the throttle for a little bit and it worked itself out.

bet you soaked your air cleaner- take it out and dry it, then try that again, think in future you will not use a hose pipe, better to use a spray bottle to carefully wash away dirt, stay away from sensitive or electricals or things that absorb water- that leaves only the engine!

Back