034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Triangulated uppers and parallel lowers. Me and reggie replaced his 2-peice axle shaft with a one peice and installed the pass inner diff seal since he removed the vacuum disconnect. And then we fawked around in my back yard.

abdaeb62.jpg

e2f53875.jpg

0b15304d.jpg

cb5a7115.jpg

Bling beotch.

95ccad96.jpg

af0cd320.jpg

557cec84.jpg

7094dbc6.jpg

My favorite badass pic.

2eb37361.jpg

O damn i got pwned!

33fafe84.jpg

531b4de5.jpg

b8206c57.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i didnt notice but are you linkin' the front or rear

One link has a special pivot mounted on a x-member generally just above or below the universal after the t-case. from there it is a big triangle link that connects to both sides of the axle and relies on the shocks to help with the side to side location of the axle, unless you run a panhard then its a 2 link i guess... :confused:

those would be awesome pictures if they were taken with a real camera.

LMFAO!!

Did Reggie already install a waggy or what!? :eek:

nissanboy said:
One link has a special pivot mounted on a x-member generally just above or below the universal after the t-case. from there it is a big triangle link that connects to both sides of the axle and relies on the shocks to help with the side to side location of the axle, unless you run a panhard then its a 2 link i guess... :confused:

ill find some pictures it would be infact a 2 link technicly but the pan hard is not refered to as a link. just as most people say jeeps have a 4 link up front not a 5 link

When I PM'd him last night, he hadn't been on since the 19th. Let him know that he has a PM. I found him a Waggy D44 complete for 200 bucks in North GA. :)

When I get my truck rolling again, I'll have to come by your house to play around in your back yard. :D

bmxking5 said:
When I PM'd him last night, he hadn't been on since the 19th. Let him know that he has a PM. I found him a Waggy D44 complete for 200 bucks in North GA. :)

When I get my truck rolling again, I'll have to come by your house to play around in your back yard. :D

I got your PM BMX, yeah i'm still blingin' out the disco 30. Money has been tight, but i'm still working my expenses.

Hopefully soon

from what i have seen of 1 links they get some crazy flex steer where the panhard bar pushes the axle to one side or the other depending on how it flexes. I know you could get minimize the effect by putting the upper panhard mount as close to the same height of the axle as possible but that would be very hard to do and sacrifice some clearacne right behind the axle. If you want some serious bling, go with a double triangulated 4 link and no panhard.

Double triangulated I would have to do alot more **** than I really want to. And with a 1 link I only have to buy one 1 1/4" heim (and 2 for the panhard), instead of eight joints for a 4-link.

Tom woods sent me a regular 1310 yoke, not an adapter. SO I have to wait another week for the adapter if they have one, if not then I have to wait about 2 weeks so they can make one.

I hate buying parts.

The thing i love about a one link is its simplicity and cost. eventually i want to run one but with a grader ball not a JJ or hiem

Ya i saw where one guy had machined one in the "One link?" thread. Looks stout as fawk.

jey have you measured how much travel youre gettin outta the front??

Back