• Register Today It's free!

Clicking, Front Driver Side

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
97 AWD Mercury Mountaineer there is a clicking noise from the front driver side,I thought it was the hub assembly so I changed it and the noise is still there.It clicks kinda like a CV joint does when you turn but it does it going straight.There is no noise if I back up,but then when I go forward its gone for about ten second and then it is back. Any ideas before i spend more money changing parts I dont need? thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well it is not the cv axle(changed it) . I am lost on what it could be.

now they are saying it is the front drive shaft.

it is the front drive shaft(cv joint looking side is bad) any one know where to get one at a good price?

I have the same problem. I replaced the CV joints because that's what everyone said it was. Then they said it was the front drive shaft. It is in fact a stretched chain in the transfer case. Before you go replacing that drive shaft, listen again. Mine is AWD 4404 Borg Warner case.

I have the same problem. I replaced the CV joints because that's what everyone said it was. Then they said it was the front drive shaft. It is in fact a stretched chain in the transfer case. Before you go replacing that drive shaft, listen again. Mine is AWD 4404 Borg Warner case.

THANKS,BUT IT IS THE DRIVE SHAFT I TOOK IT OFF GREASED IT AND HAVE BEEN REPACKING GREASE IN IT TO KEEP IT QUITE TILL I FOUND A NEW ONE.

THANKS,BUT IT IS THE DRIVE SHAFT I TOOK IT OFF GREASED IT AND HAVE BEEN REPACKING GREASE IN IT TO KEEP IT QUITE TILL I FOUND A NEW ONE.

I'm not so sure mine is a stretched t-case chain now after all. I took my front drive shaft out. Drove it with no noise. Some front drive shafts have a CV joint, and older ones like my '96 have a double cardo U-joint. I'm wondering what yours has. I would expect it to be binding even on the work bench from all the noise. I am wondering how yours felt when it was out of the car. Could you feel it tight before you greased it? Thanks.

I would check your wheel bearing/hub assembly if your 4wd/awd. Mine made some sort of noise before mine failed to the point where the cv axle seized to the hub assembly.

I would check your wheel bearing/hub assembly if your 4wd/awd. Mine made some sort of noise before mine failed to the point where the cv axle seized to the hub assembly.

I replaced the CV joint/axles, the bearings seemed okay. It's full time AWD so does it even have hubs like a 4WD? The sound seems to be coming from further back in the car than the wheels, like the drive shaft or transfer case. I'm hoping it's the former rather than the latter. One problem I think I'm having is my drive shaft has a double cardo type U-joint. This was used in '96 and part of '97. Most people have experience with the later CV type drive shafts. I'll post what happens when I replace the U-joints. Thanks for your input.

found the front drive shaft at autozone for $194 plus core charge.problem fixed.

Back