• Register Today It's free!

CODE P0456

sandman92k

Reaction score
City, State
Yucca Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
Thanks for having me everyone, I need some help, I have a 2012 ford explorer and several times a year, the check engine light will come on, shows code P0456. Took to dealer first several times and they said its dirt in the fuel filler area. I have cleaned this thing out every time but it still throws the code several times a year.

I can not afford to take back to dealership, vehicle has 80,000 miles and not under warranty.

I have a 2010 ford fusion that did the same thing, after throwing parts at it because no one new what was wrong with it, it turned out to be a purge valve.

any help I would really appreciate, I have to fix this on my own, not working so i dont have the money to send out.

Thanks
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what is said in the repair manual:

This DTC sets when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 0.508mm is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test.

Causes:
Very small holes or cuts in the fuel vapor hoses/tubes
Loose fuel vapor hose or tube connections to the EVAP system components
EVAP system component seals leaking

Check for missing fuel filler cap or the integrity of the cap. Verify the capless fuel tank filler pipe is sealed correctly (if equipped). Install and remove the supplemental fueling adapter five times in the capless fuel tank filler pipe to clear debris on the seal.

*****This is the little funnel that is in the spare tire compartment*******

Check for loose or damaged vapor hoses.
Visually inspect the EVAP canister inlet port, EVAP canister vent valve filter, and EVAP canister vent hose assembly for contamination or debris.

Canister I think is under the car near the tank and the purge valve is in the curve of the throttle body neck. Where the intake manifold curves. Got two bolts holding it down with a fuel line on the front and an electrical connector.

Try the adapter thing a few times and see if that works.

You said the vehicle has 80k miles. Is it actually over 80? Emissions are under warranty till 80k miles.

Plus if you have taken it to a dealer before with the same problem they may be able to work on it since it was an existing condition when it was under warranty.

Having the dealership repair is not an option, the dealer only cleans the fuel door with the funnel and resets and sends back, they flat out refuse to do anything else. So my option is to fix myself (trust me last ford i ever buy), this is an ongoing issue over the last couple of months with this car.

thanks for the help everyone

Did you get this resolved? I got the same code twice already, will try the funnel trick but I suspect it might continue.

P0456 code

On YouTube do a search for P0456 code Ford. There is a video by FordTechMakuloco for 2009 + Fords with that code. It could be the flapper in the filler not closing because of dirt.

On YouTube do a search for P0456 code Ford. There is a video by FordTechMakuloco for 2009 + Fords with that code. It could be the flapper in the filler not closing because of dirt.
I think that was why the funnel trick was suggested. To clear any dirt.

Peter

So I just got the CEL yesterday morning for this exact issue.

Will be making an appointment for next week at some point.

Screenshot_2016-03-01-19-32-10_zpssl80jrde.png

Here is complete breakdown of this issue in a Ford Ex 2011-2015 (actual year unknown but its one of these)
Part 1 easily explains the EVAP system and describes the CEL test parameters-it can tell if its a Sm, Md, or Lg leak according to how much pressure leak is exhibited in the valve unit.
Part 2 shows a complete detailed removal with a wrench & then a diag by hand, of the valve under the hood.

No other parts are diag'd b/c problem was found under the hood.

AutoZone or similar store will plug in a scanner and give you a printout of any CEL codes for free.
The scanner port is directly under the underside of the steering wheel column, look down the steering column and you can see it while sitting.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg4AEe_xWo4

Autozone has this part for $29.

...now ask me how I know all this lol :party:\

Part 2

Hello, I have a 2014 explorer sport with 9400 miles on it.. yes essentially brand new lol. I was wondering if it's the capless design, I don't know what else I can do to eliminate this code. Maybe purge valve? Stupid that I have a check engine light on a nearly brand new car. Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Hello, I have a 2014 explorer sport with 9400 miles on it.. yes essentially brand new lol. I was wondering if it's the capless design, I don't know what else I can do to eliminate this code. Maybe purge valve? Stupid that I have a check engine light on a nearly brand new car. Any help greatly appreciated thanks.
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Car supposedly will reset CELs if the condition is not still happening & after a certain number of normal starts-its a lot, like 30 startups?

You can get a bluetooth OBDI from Amz for less than $20 and dl the free TorqueLite app that will let you read all codes plus a ton of other car info and if desired-reset the CEL.

If you have a warranty though I would document the codes it may throw and only reset after some research or a dealer visit. Get it in their records b/c this keeps happening on mine and at random times. Not the capless in mine.

Also if it keeps happening, look at the video above with the tech wearing the glasses, this video is very good - part is easy to get to and replace, if thats what is causing your CEL.

Bump.

What is length of warranty on emissions stuff.. ie. Purge valve?

Tried fuel door.. doesn't seem to be it. Sigh 9500 miles on it and a cel

The warranty coverage period for:
• Passenger cars, light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 8,500
pounds GVWR)
— The emission warranty coverage period is 8 years or 80,000 miles
(whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic
emission control units, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices.
— All other parts covered under your emissions warranty are warranted
for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

So I'm assuming the purge valve is bad.. that's under 36k mile warranty? What a joke

Here is a helpful video on how to check the 2 main causes of the P0456 error in the 5th generation Explorer:

This goes over checking the gas-cap (or lack there of) and the canister purge valve. This is a pretty easy fix.

The video even describes how to do a quick test of the purge valve to see if that is the culprit. I was able to change mine out pretty easily for about $30 and haven't seen the check engine light come back on.

I am 100% sure it's the gas canister purge valve as others have mentioned. They are pretty crappy after the redesign. Had to replace one in my Fusion and the Ecoboost versions are 80 bucks...

So a month ago the CEL was on and we had a P0456. A trip to the dealer had the evap canistor and one of the catalytic converters replaced to fix. They also found a leak in the PTU and replaced seals to fix that.

Fast forward a month and while out of town (of course) my wife called telling me she got a Stabilitrak warning, something about the 4WD and then the light on the "selector" switch was off.

She was driving on dry pavement around town. Normally these point to the PTU crapping out so I told her as long as the vehicle didnt make sounds or shake she could drive home, just know that it will be in FWD.

Next day everything was back to normal - no lights on the dash, nothing. The selector switch for 4WD was lit and appeared to be working.

I hooked my code reader up the my Explorer and it showed a "Permanent P0456" stored. There is no CEL light lit up.

I called my dealer and they were happy to check things out for a diagnostic fee, but if the CEL light isnt on they most likely wont have anything to fix.

So - I doubt a P0456 has anything to do with the PTU, but anyone have thoughts on why this is stored but not CEL?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect that either the dealer didn't reset the fault code or they didn't fix the problem and it's coming back.

I have no idea why your "code reader" would display the DTC as a "Permanent" fault, that isn't standard Ford nomenclature.

Back