Codes P0222 and P2135

spiccy

Reaction score
City, State
757, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 & 2008 Mountaineers
Hey fellow Explorerers -

This one's stumping me. My Mountaineer (2008, 4.0, AWD) has been throwing P0222 and P2135 for about a month.

Both codes are for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

I've replaced the TPS, twice, with two different OEM units, one brand new from a dealership.

I've disconnected the battery during both installations for ECM-reset purposes.

I've replaced the plugs and wires.

I've cleaned the throttle body.

The wires that are in view all seem to be in good condition.. not even near questionable.

I've Googled this issue more than I care to admit, but most threads are either throwing FAR more codes than just these two, or replacing the TPS solved the issue.

I'm out of ideas. What am I missing? The car will run 100% flawlessly for a couple days.. then sputter on acceleration.. then run flawlessly again for a couple days. My wife states the the engine has died on her while stopped at a red-light.. but even after this, she just re-started it and it ran just fine.

Please help. Going to clean my MAF. Prayers welcome.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both codes can be set if the voltage between the accelerator pedel and throttle position sensor are different. So even know the codes say tps sensor you have to check the accelerator position sensor too. If you have a obd2 scanner you can look at both sensor voltages to see if they are different. Or you need to back probe each sensor with a volt meter and check the same thing.

Have you verified the reference voltage is correct? The TPS can be good, but it will not output the proper voltage if the input voltage is not consistently correct.

During March of this year I had a similar problem which caused codes P2135, P2101, P2104, P2110, P2111. Truck had random stalling which quickly turned into the truck only operating briefly in idle mode.

I ended up sending my X to the Dealer as it sounded electrical. Tech found arched wiring within the wire harness, voltage issues, and one fried throttle body assembly. The Dealer replaced the throttle body, the wiring connectors, patched the harness, overcharged me, and had me running again within three days.

Parts Listed on my ford RO are (no shaming please...):
Wire Repair (no price listed)
9W7Z*9E926*A Throttle Body and Motor Asy $475.58
3U2Z*14S411*UC Wire Asy $65.33
3U2Z*14S411*UC EKB Wire Asy $30.80

I did get a FREE tire rotation and a Multi Point Inspection performed...

During March of this year I had a similar problem which caused codes P2135, P2101, P2104, P2110, P2111. Truck had random stalling which quickly turned into the truck only operating briefly in idle mode.

I ended up sending my X to the Dealer as it sounded electrical. Tech found arched wiring within the wire harness, voltage issues, and one fried throttle body assembly. The Dealer replaced the throttle body, the wiring connectors, patched the harness, overcharged me, and had me running again within three days.

Thanks for this post. Due to this, I confiscated my wife's seam-ripper and started tearing back the wrap around the wiring harness.. and what do you know, the entire harness in between the TPS sensor and the ECU connector had already been replaced (sloppily, with crimp-connectors) once before. If they had put as much care into corrected the wires as they did into making the harness-wrap look OEM, I'd have never had this issue.

Thanks for all the help guys. I love this site.

Back