• Register Today It's free!

Coil Pack Blows

pathwayus

Reaction score
City, State
wnc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Blue Explorer
I'm in hope that some one can help me out a little, i just got another ford explorer back in may. I have always liked the first gen the only thing was it had a cracked head. The explorer is a 1994, but every think on the motor worked fine, so I was able to get a motor out of a 95 explorer every thing lined up right and set in and most of the part are off the 1994 motor. The Problem that I am having is it has blow to coil packs for what I can tell you will hear it "pop them" then blue smokes follows. I havn't seen any arks come off the spark plugs. I know at lest one of the wires that feed power to the coil pack is hot but am not sure about the others. Any help would be great I have been working four day none stop and would like to get this truck up and running again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't the '95 motor very different then the First Gen??

Perhaps the HArness is wired differently

The coil packs are the same from '94 to '95.

The 1 wire is a + (red), the other 3 (yellow /different color tracers)are ground signals to fire each section of the coil pack. The neg signal comes from the ICM on the rad support.

I'd look for bad plugs or wires.

IIRC, there is a condenser on those coil packs, that might be bad.

I believe when i test the red wire and yellows, i think one of the yellow was hot but I will check that again tonight when I get home, what are the changes that the ICM is bad, like i said both motor where running other then the old one head being cracked does any one know what the reading should come out on with a volt meter on the coil pack? thanks for you help so far

A small update when I got in this afternoon i checked the red wire is hot when the key is on. When i checked the coil pack the only ready i would get with a meter was 0.030ma on both coil packs so am going to take it that there both bad now, this lead me to believe there is something wrong with the icm, but i don't know never ran into this problem before. I believe the IIRC witch has on little bolt that holds on it (below the coil pack) i have changed it out also along the the crankshaft sensor and still the same. I can really say am at a lost on this one.

Today i went and got another coil pack the part below the coil pack and icm and am still not getting any spark form the spark plugs, i tested all the coil packs today with a good test meeter set on 200k ohms and i got a 13.7 reading on all them. am at a lost any help would be great.

Back