Cold Air Intake for 91-94 Explorers | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake for 91-94 Explorers

ExporeRanger said:
o you guys are pretty much saying that the better idea would be to hook up the HELP! rlbow and a mini filter for the oil brether..and not connect it back into the intake tubing..because it being connected can probably account for a builup on the TB

The build up is from the PCV, EGR valve. All the build up should be behind the TB, in theory. In reality, some does get infront because when you turn the vehicle off, there is no more air moment to direct the fumes from the PCV away from the TB and if there is enough pressure and such in the crankcase, then the PCV will still be able to put the nasties into the intake.

As for the cowling on the hood, :thumbsup:, but I thought it would be bigger. :D lol you need one of those BA prostock scoops just because they look plain cool!! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

help!..i lost wunna the wires that runs into th estock airbox on my sploder..i had them wrapped up and laying in the engine bay, i went to plug them up with bolts, i plugged up the one and i cant find the other..anyone kno wher it plugs into so i can find the dman thing!

from what i remember it didnt really serve a purpose

do yall think if i get a TB spacer that i will still clear everything alright with my ifab?

I don't think you can get a TB spacer for a 1st gen. If you can please post where to get it. Might have to cut the tube a little to make up for the additional length.

dont hav the link and it took me a while but i found a tb spacer for the first gen on summitracing.com

it should still clear everything fine with the throttle body

What's the point of a TB spacer on a multi port sequential fuel injector motor? I can see the point in a TB spaer on throttle body injection motors, and a carb spacer on carbed cars, but on a motor like I can't see it making any power. In fact, everytime I've seen a TB spacer dyno tested on a multi port sequential fuel injection motor it showed NO gains. Has anybody seen anything different? No butt-dynos allowed.

mine...

2048705_56_full.jpg

2048705_61_full.jpg

I just happened to be going back through this and saw your custom intake. On the hose that goes from the oil filer neck to the tube going to the throttle body, you put a filter. Any advantages to this? This doesn't effect the vacuum or anything?

i tried to do this and i bought that 2"-3" adapter and i coulden' t fit it over the throttle body. Do they make a 2 1/2"-3" adapter. Does anyone have dyno numbers from just this mod?

bikeboarder- you need a 3"/3" adapter

Do they make a 2 1/2"-3" adapter. Does anyone have dyno numbers from just this mod?

Give us a call at KKM, we carry a 2.5-3 reducer if this is what you need.

The stock intake pipe should flow about twice the CFM of the throttle body and MAF, so a different intake pipe should not really show much of a gain.

This is what I am going to do!

Found this air box mod on the web and really like the idea. Talk about economical. Other than deep water crossings, is there any thing else wrong with it.

http://ford40.com/airbox.shtml

^ that is a dumb idea. you would hydro lock your engine on puddles

I bet the tires would hit that pipe too. You might be able to get it to work, but why bother when you can spend a couble bucks more for greater gains.

Someone tell me if i missed any part of it. But for those of you making your own intakes...can someone tell me how to ditch the air box for a simple cone open filter. Im not sure how to go about attaching it to the MAF can anyone help me?

Thanks

You need a special adapter which bolts to the MAF for a cone filter. They can be had for cheap on ebay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay so i tryed the pvc pipin intake today, ran into 3 or 4 problems
the first was the fact that the coupler i bought did not fit over the throttle body, no biggie, that can be easily fixed, couplers made for pvc do not fit as well as couplers made for intakes
the second was the fact that in layed right on top of the fan making it hard to close, you can fix this by cutting off a little of the pvc pipe to make it fit just right. or even better get a body lift
third obviously was the fact that the hood wouldnt close since it was on the fan too much

all in all i have decided to wait until i have purchased my body lift, with the body lift itll create more room for u to put that custom intake in without the interfernce of the hood and fan.

i have come to the conclusion that this intake mod will not fit perfectly in a stock explorer, im sure u guys already kno alll of this by now tho

Back