• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake prob!!!

keeter57

Reaction score
City, State
kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ford explorer
ok so i make and piece that will bolt to my stock air filter pipe and a aftermarket filter will slide onto it and it worked great on my 98' eb explorer but i put it on my new 2000 eb i just got and its made my mpg go up but CEL light came on and its sluggish on acceleration, at a stop sign it lunges. rough idle in drive but idles fine in park. what could i do to keep the cold air intake on it but not have the problems???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your tell us what your cel codes are, then people might be able to help... maybe.

put the stock air box back on and see if the problem goes away .if it does then stick with it .
i dont know why folks assume adding more air to the engine gives you better gas mileage?
it leans out the fuel mixture .if the air sampler does detect more air it will then add more gas ,now your using more gas .
i would try the stock air box again.

And besides, doesn't the stock air box draw in outside, (not underhood) air? My 96 draws air from between the inner and outer fender. Already cold air.

And besides, doesn't the stock air box draw in outside, (not underhood) air? My 96 draws air from between the inner and outer fender. Already cold air.

good point:thumbsup:

Your air filter isn't the problem.
Pull the codes, sounds like a misfire?

P0175 rich
P0172 rich

spark plugs

Running rich?
Check spark plugs, wires and the coil pack.
Also check the value of the ects when the engine is hot, make sure it's within spec.

assuming you have both vehicle (still), run some live data test and look at air intake values along with trims at various rpm... that will likely point you in a direction to solving your issue. My guess would be an air flow issue. Having said that, put back the original system and do the same comparison, that would even be more insightful.

Back