Cold Air Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake

LFelix

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
Hi all,

I have a 2010 Ex with the 4.0 v6. I was looking to get a cold air intake to put in my truck. I was looking at k&n and they don't have any cold air intakes for my year, they only have up to 2008 and it is the 4.6 intake. I have heard that the 08 4.6l intake would work on my year explorer but wasn't too sure about trying it unless I received more opinions.

I was looking for any suggestions or guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a K&N Cool Air Intake from a 3rd gen V8 in my 4th gen V6. It worked ok for a while but I took it out earlier this year and put the stock intake back in. My gas mileage went up when I took the K&N out.

The V6 (don´t know about the V8) already comes with a cold air intake. If you look at it closely it takes the air from the front. Things you can do to improve air flow is to replace the factory air filter with a performance one, aFe or K&N.
aFe filters a little better, the K&N flows more air at the cost of less filtration efficiency.

Other thing you can do is this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407766&highlight=intake

Actually I just received the parts and will soon start to build it. Can´t tell you when exactly I will but can report back when I finish it.

I also have a custom tune with the SCT programmer, after the intake build if it´s needed I will update the tune.

The V6 (don´t know about the V8) already comes with a cold air intake. If you look at it closely it takes the air from the front. Things you can do to improve air flow is to replace the factory air filter with a performance one, aFe or K&N.
aFe filters a little better, the K&N flows more air at the cost of less filtration efficiency.

Other thing you can do is this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407766&highlight=intake

Actually I just received the parts and will soon start to build it. Can´t tell you when exactly I will but can report back when I finish it.

I also have a custom tune with the SCT programmer, after the intake build if it´s needed I will update the tune.

Thanks for the reply. That's definitely something to look into and looked like a job well done

I had a K&N Cool Air Intake from a 3rd gen V8 in my 4th gen V6. It worked ok for a while but I took it out earlier this year and put the stock intake back in. My gas mileage went up when I took the K&N out.

Thanks for the reply ASull.

In regards to the K&N, did you have to do any modification to make the intake work for the 4th gen?

I also saw on your Explorers past mods you had a KNN intake. What are your opinions on that brand intake? Did you notice any differences in performance/sound?

Back