Cold start up - Puff of Blue Smoke | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold start up - Puff of Blue Smoke

noles4life002

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Background:

I had a Ford Mechanic take a look at the Explorer, and I had problems with the chain tensioner rattle. He suggested that I flush the engine and put a mild detergent additive in the oil to keep the oil flowing through the tensioner. This quieted the chain for a period of time. It has started to get louder again.

Yesterday, my wife and I were outside and when she started the car, I noticed a small puff of blue smoke from the tail pipe. The exhaust does not have a consistent blue exhaust, and it does not have a distinct smell. Is this a sign that the seals are going bad? Any information is appreciated.

'02 Explorer XLS
4.0L
V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that it is oil getting into the combustion chamber. My opinion is worn piston rings. Probably burning oil while running but it is not noticeable.

I believe that it is oil getting into the combustion chamber. My opinion is worn piston rings. Probably burning oil while running but it is not noticeable.

Any idea what that would run me to get fixed? We have the rear differential howl, possible t-case issues and the chain tensioner problem with the X. Sucks to have all these problems under 100k. We paid 5500 for the vehicle 6 months ago. Wondering if I should just cut my losses at this point and try to sell it. If I fix the known problems, we're looking at 1000 for the rear diff, at minimum 1000 for the t-case and I don't know the cost on the tensioner, but it has to be a grand.

That sounds to me like worn valve stem seals. Some of the oil sitting on inside the rocker area drains into the intake valves when sitting, then burns on startup. Maybe the cleaner additive removed the sludge that was keeping them from leaking. Unfortunately that can eventually kill the catalytic converter. If it were rings I would expect to see smoke out the rear view mirror when coasting down a hill and on fast acceleration.

That sounds to me like worn valve stem seals. Some of the oil sitting on inside the rocker area drains into the intake valves when sitting, then burns on startup. Maybe the cleaner additive removed the sludge that was keeping them from leaking. Unfortunately that can eventually kill the catalytic converter. If it were rings I would expect to see smoke out the rear view mirror when coasting down a hill and on fast acceleration.

This would actually make sense. We only noticed it after it sat idle, the cleaner may have removed the build up. What would it normally cost to replace valve stem seals. Also, what other problems could I see? I've never had a vehicle with 4x4 before and I'm absolutely in love with the Explorer. I want to keep it, if and only if it makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

how many miles on the motor? that cleaner sometimes causes more trouble than its worth. I wouldn't worry yet. If it is the seals and it sounds like it, they may reseal themselves with time, What oil are you using? And weight? You don't want to replace the valve stems its a VERY VERY big job.

I have a heep with 150k on it, had a rear main seal leak about 75k ago, these leaks are common for the 4.0L, started using Valvoline MaxLife (not sure if they even have 5-20w) and the leak slowed and stopped sometime thereafter.

these leaks are common for the 4.0L, started using Valvoline MaxLife (not sure if they even have 5-20w)
They do now.
Re: the Explorer, most likely it is the valve seals.

how many miles on the motor? that cleaner sometimes causes more trouble than its worth. I wouldn't worry yet. If it is the seals and it sounds like it, they may reseal themselves with time, What oil are you using? And weight? You don't want to replace the valve stems its a VERY VERY big job.

I have a heep with 150k on it, had a rear main seal leak about 75k ago, these leaks are common for the 4.0L, started using Valvoline MaxLife (not sure if they even have 5-20w) and the leak slowed and stopped sometime thereafter.

Far as I know, it's original. Just under 100k. Oil was Quaker State. I am not positive on weight. I'm going to start doing my own changes. Which weight on Valvoline Maxlife should I buy?

check the oil cap it should be on it, i'm not sure about the v6's. My V8 is 5-20w. But MaxLife comes in 5-30w i thought. I also use Motorcraft filters on my Ex. I'm only at 60k now and Motorcraft Oils is good enough at the moment.

check the oil cap it should be on it, i'm not sure about the v6's. My V8 is 5-20w. But MaxLife comes in 5-30w i thought. I also use Motorcraft filters on my Ex. I'm only at 60k now and Motorcraft Oils is good enough at the moment.

I've read on other forums not to switch to a full synthetic on an older engine. Would you recommend the Synth blend?

Also, does anyone have experience with Auto-RX? Is this just another one of those BS additives? Any info is appreciated.

I've read on other forums not to switch to a full synthetic on an older engine. Would you recommend the Synth blend?

Also, does anyone have experience with Auto-RX? Is this just another one of those BS additives? Any info is appreciated.

Yes, i have read that too, supposedly what it does is clean up the engine removing the grime which is preventing the gaskets from leaking. You already did that with the cleaner, so it shouldn't matter much, imo. I'd try the Motorcraft with the correct weight, see how that does for a month. But MaxLife worked on my old 12year old 150,000 mile heep 6cyl 4.0L, no drips, no smoke. .. .what your trying to do is ‘swell’ the rubber so it seals better, I think that MaxLife has an additive to do that. With your ’02 and 100k it might help.

Yes, i have read that too, supposedly what it does is clean up the engine removing the grime which is preventing the gaskets from leaking. You already did that with the cleaner, so it shouldn't matter much, imo. I'd try the Motorcraft with the correct weight, see how that does for a month. But MaxLife worked on my old 12year old 150,000 mile heep 6cyl 4.0L, no drips, no smoke. .. .what your trying to do is ‘swell’ the rubber so it seals better, I think that MaxLife has an additive to do that. With your ’02 and 100k it might help.

That's what I get for listening to people. Created a problem :) Hell, it may be the fact that they use Quaker State. I will be removing the devil juice from my explorer and use maxlife. I think I'll use the synthetic blend for now.

The 4.0 SOHC engine has had some issues with the timing chain tensioners. Ford has a TSB out which extended the warranty for this issue on certian years. I forget which years and the time frame/miles they extended the warraty for. Do some research on that. I'm pretty sure it's on this site somewhere. Also most of the 4.0 SOHC engines run 5W30. Ford did swith over alot of the engines to 5W20 for better MPG but I'm pretty sure the 4.0 SOHC engines were not included in the switch over. Best bet is to look on the oil cap or in the owners manual for the correct weight oil to use.

Back