college budget, keeping my X or getting an import | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

college budget, keeping my X or getting an import

idaho

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
:( So my parents want me to get a car... but thats because I told them I am getting a bike, it will fit in the driveway with my 94 Explorer.;)
anyways
yesterday I went and picked up my '67 Chevy Stepside from my parents and stuck it in the garage so that I can rebuilding it. To get it here I rented a tow dolly from Uhaul and used my dads F250 diesel. I dropped my X off at his work and let him drive it... here is his list of things wrong

check engine light

doors- drivers side handle missing/won't unlock 1/2 the time, passenger side won't lock

ball joints? he stated that while turning he could feel it almost jump, and I was told that it will need new ball joints this year, also last week I ended going on the sidewalk because it wouldn't turn when I took off at the light.
--I am thinking that I may need to replace the shocks as well, haven't liked them but didn't really have a choice at the time.

The CE light I don't have a clue about, its been on and off since I bought it 4 years ago and the past two years it's hardly ever off. I have tried to reset at shucks and have had multiple diagnostics test done, but to no avail. I also replaced the O2 sensors last summer before attempting to reset the light again... I am wondering if this issue is related to the air filter box (its broke) my next thoughts on it are to buy a K&N kit because that will cost the same as one through the dealership and I won't have to deal with the screws.

the door handles are an easy fix, and I have to look into the locks a little more, I think I broke the passenger side last week when I locked the keys in it and was attempting to learn how to break into a vehicle(always unlocked before I moved to Boise)

so the only other thing is the ball joints and shocks, upper and lower ball joints are quoted at 600+ at the shops and I can get them anywhere from $59+. with a limited amount of tools and less than half a day to do this should I replace them myself and how hard is it? There is a Big-O around the corner so I can get it aligned, buts thats only if I can get it done on a Saturday after 1:20 when class gets out.is this possible with limited resources??
basically all I want is to get it running good again so that my mom will quit telling whenever she sees an old car for cheep, when I get a car I will more than likely get a one that I can use to drift, and she will complain about my constant racing which I would rather do after I get out of school:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did schucks tell you what the codes were when they did the diognostic?

KEEP THE EX!
they are to much fun, when running right!
and u can make em look way better than an import!
and u should deff. get a bike, they are sweet! im posibly get one!
need a better job first!
but keep the ex!

no, I never could get it to actually pull any at the other places, at shucks all I tried to do was reset it. I could go and check again, see if anything is different.

If it's throwing a cel then get the codes read. If your cel is coming on and there are no codes it may be a problem with the light itself but very unlikely.

It is off periodically, but always comes on, over the past few days it may have been off for the first few minutes driving. I should have time on Saturday to go in and check it again to see if I can pull a code.

1 final done, 2 more to go, then I get a whole week off!!

If you would really rather race, why not just do the ball joints sell your X and buy a MR2 or something with the proceeds...............moms, gotta love 'em.....they're gonna worry about u whatever you do......

If you like your Ex, Keep it, it's much more fun to go 4-wheelin' than drifting and maybe gettin urself a ticket.........4-wheelin' definitely is more fun and more challenging for driver and vehicle.....:):)

I found a car that will get me around for the time being!! :)
It is a 92 toyota celica for about 2 grand or so. I know the owner and just brought it up today and drove it for a while. It runs good but needs some cosmetic work done on the front from when it was backed into.
My insurance will go up $60 every six months to add it.
I still haven't found a bike though :(
with the car I will be able to replace all the stuff I need on m explorer without having to worry getting to work and school while it's apart.:thumbsup: :exp:

Ok, so I am a little behind with school, I should have it all caught up by next month though.
For the ball joints on my X, what kind would work the best? I will be using the car primarily around town and want to start getting my X set up for more 4X'in and advice or help would be great.
Brian

keep the explorer!!!! i too have had a reallly really tight budget, i still have stuff wrong from last year, stupid stuff that i just havent got fixed. just keep up on it and do enough to keep it running untill u get caught up (unless of course its something u need to fix haha) stay away from them damn imports!

OK, so I have decided what I am going to do... :)
I am going to mod the Celica a little and start fixing up my X for some fun.
I also still have the '67 Chevy Stepside that will be going over to a friends soon to start working on it (want to turn it into a show truck)
Those are my current plans.

Lately I have been driving the Celica to work and I can actually go 2 weeks on a tank of gas!! --premium is about $36 to fill it up from empty, while the X is $55+ with midgrade--
I figure this way I will have around 150 bucks each month to put back into it all (after I get my girlfriend to stop driving it)

Write down the CEL codes and solve them!

The codes help you to diagnose problems with the truck. If you can get all of your codes cleared up and maintain the truck properly it should be a great vehicle. It also holds alot more than a Celica (Girly car).

Here is a link to access and troubleshoot your CEL codes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

Hope this helps! :cool:

well I thought about selling my explorer and getting a lightning a while back, but instead i bought a bike (2004 gsxr 600) and saved the rest of the money. Now i am back in school and glad i did, cause i really need the money. I tried to upload pics of my bike, but wouldnt work. Also you know what is wrong with your x, so fix it. Getting a used car you could be buying anything. And you want to drift, where around your school? Major problems with the law doing that ****. I like it but wouldnt do it on the street. If you wanna see pics of my bike with mods pm, i can email them.

THese are my mods to my bike
520 chain conversion (-1/+2) rk xbso gold chain with vortex sprockets
Michelin power pilots
Timing retard elimiator
yoshimura rs-3 exhaust

I know where he is coming from. I am going to be a senior at UNH this year and am hoping to have my explorer replaced by the time school starts up. My explorer is just getting too old and is starting to have its problems. Gas mileage is kicking my ass as well. I'm gonna be looking at a newer sports car. Although, anything is sporty once you have driven a 160 hp Explorer.

:thumbdwn: Celica (Girly car).
So what? you don't like the pink and purples flowers, and beads hanging from the mirror? they always seemed to get put back on it after I took them off.

I did put a for sale sign in the front window of my X (and then park it in the close to the garage door, where no one can see it)
I just got dropped from school and am going to look into going to BSU for some mechanics classes, its more of what I am interested in than computers.
I owe ITT 2 grand right now so money is definitely tight, especially since I paid 1500 for bail, lawyer and whatever else I helped with, and no, I am not going to keep the car its a POS not worth much right now.

I am going to attempt to get a job at Les Schwab tomorrow, and also go to the VA job fair.:usa:

Back