• Register Today It's free!

Computation of MPG

Black Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
New York, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Quick question. On my 06 mounty v8, ive noticed that when the car is computing the Average MPG, stopping at a stoplight significantly lowers the MPG. I think the trip computer overcompensates for the engine ideling.

I tried computing MPG based upon miles traveled vs gallons, and were around 2.8 mph difference. Im in NYC so there are lots on stop and go traffic. Just curious if anyone is having the same experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it happend immediately after you re-set the average mileage, that's normal. If averages the fuel consumption since the last reset and goes from there. The more time you spend stopped, the more it's going to drop. The more you drive it, the more accurate the average is. I've found that if you let it go the duration of the tank, it's pretty close.

-Joe

gijoecam said:
If it happend immediately after you re-set the average mileage, that's normal. If averages the fuel consumption since the last reset and goes from there. The more time you spend stopped, the more it's going to drop. The more you drive it, the more accurate the average is. I've found that if you let it go the duration of the tank, it's pretty close.

-Joe

I would agree, since right after you reset it only has from the point of reset to the current moment to "calculate" MPG so the average will be off or changing rapidly due to small amount of data to work with... the more data the more stable MPG figures

What is everyone getting on the average? Let me know if you have the V6 or V8

ricochet said:
What is everyone getting on the average? Let me know if you have the V6 or V8

V8 mixed driving consistant 16-18 mpg, have not taken a long hwy drive in a while to see 7400 miles so far.

i agree with your comments, but every other car ive owned never compensates so quickly. Ive gotten anywhere from a low of 11 MPG to a high of 21 MPG.

Mine is still too new, just got 1400 km´s( r.a. 870 mls ), got it on 14 mpg, 70 % city, 30 % highway ( V8 4WD ). But it´s going down, guess 17 / 18 mpg highway-use-only will be real even here in rocky germany.

My sending unit doesn't work, but my overhead console is still able to compensate, and calculate mileage based on RPMs, and miles driven. I have a lot of emissions on my 89 with a 3.0 V6, and my trip computer calculates an average of 9 miles per gallon (city driving). I know that it's accurate, since I keep track of my miles driven, and the amount of gallons consumed on that computer. Whenever I fill up, I get the same amount of gallons as were used (example: If I used 8 gallons, I refill 8 gallons. The pump in the gas station automatically shuts down when I reach 8 gallons).

If ya bought the 4.6 L V8 -- Stop lookin at the mileage -- Just stick your foot in it and smile -- Or trade it on a Hyundai -- First gear shifts at 6000 rpm at 30 mph and just keeps pullin -- the more highway - the more you're gonna love it

14 mpg average (truck's computer) with the 4.6 v8 mixed city and highway driving

Back