• Register Today It's free!

computer question

doggolfer58

Reaction score
City, State
Mt.Washington Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB
Can anyone here help me.I have a 2006 explorer 4.6 motor with 80,000 miles on it,picked it up at the dealer and was told they installed a new computer in it then noticed the cruise and the puddle lights did not work.The dealership took the explorer to the shop and turned on these features in the computer.Do you have to tell the computer how big of a gas tank it has?The reason I ask is when I run the fuel down until the low fuel light comes on I only get 9 gallons of gas in it and the gauge shows full,it has a 22.5 gallon tank in it.If I'm down to 1/2 tank of gas I only get in 4 gallons and it shows full once again>Something seems way off here either you have to tell the computer that you have a 22.5 gallon tank or could it be the sending unit in the tank could be bad?WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK HELP ME OUT HERE????

Take it back to the place that did the work and let them figure it out since they changed out the PCM. If I remember correctly all PCM's are remanufactured now so it is possible that the PCM that they put in it is defective.

Mine does the same

My daughter's 2006 explorer does the same thing. We fill it up, it may go 90 miles or 180 or somewhere in between. The digital "Miles to empty" starts at about 350 full and gradually decreases then just starts dropping quickly; then when the gauge goes below 1/8 tank., low fuel light comes on and there is still plenty of gas in the tank. Turn ignition off or go continuous...no matter. Battery cable off does not reset.

I'm not sure if the pump was replaced before we purchased this vehicle In June of this year. I dropped the fuel tank, checked the resistance on the sender...all good.

So the "low fuel light" and "miles to empty" must be based on gauge reading rather than the actual level of fuel in tank. I have read and read before on this issue until I got tired of looking. Now I am looking back into it so I can check it out over the holidays when she is here. The issue must be with the gauge and not the sending unit in the tank. I have also seen other threads about anti-slosh module but I'm not sure.

Is there a Ford technician that has seen this same issue?

I don't know if this is related but I found out that there are diffeent fuel modes when refueling! If you cycle the ignition while refueling to check your gauge the truck takes a 55 min relearn process to calculate the fuel in the truck! If you leave the vehicle off at the gas pump and do not cycle the ignition it registers as soon as you start truck after refueling. I didn't know this I was freaking out when refueling cause I thought my gas gauge broke but it's an actual mode for the truck so now no more check gauge while refueling!

Tom

Back