• Register Today It's free!

confused!

steve_lemont_33

City, State
walkerton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS 4X4
hi there
i own a 2001 explorer 4x4/ my 4x4 in my doesnt work.

alright earlier tonight me and some buddies went out and i was driving
it was snowing pretty good so my tires were spinning and i was drifting corners. we were having fun driving sideways.:)
then i was driving along normal not spinning tires and 4wheel drive was in the auto position. and my 4hi light and 4lo light started flashing.
so i thought no big deal and kept driving but then i went to drift a corner and it felt like i had 4wheel drive and the steering was a little stiff.( ive never driven a 4x4 so i dont no what it is like. is the steering stiffer when in 4x4) and also when i was drifting the front wheels felt like they were pulling the front end the way my wheels were pointing.
then i was driving straight touched the gas spun ( around 3000rpms) then heard a bang and a jerk then my abs light came on and i lost abs (wheels were locking up)
also the 4hi and 4 lo lights shut off and i didnt think i had 4x4 anymore.
so i dropped my friends off and the o/d light started flashing as well as 4hi and 4 low
then when i got home i shut it off the abs, o/d, 4hi and 4 lo lights were on
i waited a minute stated it up again and all the lights are off now (not sure if i have abs or 4x4 at the moment though)

is this just something in shouldnt worry about
or is there something completely effed up in my computer
any input would be great

yep, snow got into the front end and that is why the abs light came on, and when it does 4wd won't work,,
what happens is the snow clogs the abs sensor so it cannot sense the front wheels, so it sends no signal back for the computer to compare to the back ,
after some deep snow wheeling in my Ex it happens , the one thing that helps out is the heat from the brakes will thaw the snow, and after that it gets a signal and it will work again,,

Back