Considering options for "totaled" 91 4-door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering options for "totaled" 91 4-door

EastoutWest

Reaction score
City, State
Middle of Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4 5spd XLT
Hey everyone,

So I was driving through an intersection when a 17 year old girl in a compact toyota jumps the gun and turns into my driver's side rear wheel. Tried to swerve but I couldn't avoid her. The impact kicked out my rear end, causing the right rear wheel to hit the curb. The passenger tire immediately broke the bead on the curb. Both wheels are significantly bent up, the driver's side rear quarter panel is smashed behind the tire, and there are actually tire rub marks on the driver's side frame rail. I was able to put the spare on and drive it home but with some serious wobbling from the rear end.

It's a 91 4-door with 5-speed, manual transfer case, manual hubs and tow package (including 3.73 limited slip). It was in pretty good condition, my only vehicle and my reliable workhorse. I chronicled her re-furb here a couple years ago.

So her insurance company totaled it and I have accepted their offer of $2341 less the $200 "salvage value" to keep the explorer. I think that's fair as it wouldn't have sold for $2300 before the collision. Which brings me to my inquiry here.

The collision shop estimator didn't bother to check the condition of the axle but I assume since the axle was impacted first from the driver side (moving it enough for the tire to rub the frame), then from the passenger side (sliding into the curb with enough force to bend the rim and break the bead), the axle is probably damaged. Shocks may have been damaged too... Also, my explorer was already in need of some front end and engine gasket attention.

The money comes at a good time and I need it. So I need to get back on the road for less than 1200 but a ranger would be better for me right now. I have some options I'm thinking of and would value your opinions:

I think the engine/trans/transfer case would swap for '88-'97 rangers. I would love to get an extended cab ranger with a blown engine or trans and swap as needed but not much luck there for a 4x4 below $1000. I can find 2wd, automatic, extended cab rangers all day though... would explorer axles swap in easily? What about my manual pedal assembly?

Another option (and the cheapest) is to just get used wheels and an axle (which I have been able to source locally).

Yet another option is to get a parts explorer (with the right axle) and swap as needed. Do you all know if the 2-doors ever came with the 3.73 gears? I have this vision of a 2-door sport-trac style frankensploder down the line. (I would really like to have a truck bed). Would be cool to drive a 2-door anyway, I hear they are more fun to drive.

I'm getting a bit of analysis paralysis and would really appreciate your thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, I forgot... the last option...
What can I do with an Aerostar? Would I be able to swap my m5od and pedal assembly into an AWD automatic aerostar?

Glad you're ok! I don't know where to begin on the Ex.

You have the nice options on your Explorer (Manual Tranny, manual t-case, 3.73LS gears, 4WD). I say keep the Explorer, and build it into what you want. Now's the time. Save $$$ a little at a time and do it. Since your suspension has damage, now's the time for extended drop brackets/ radius arms and a little lift.

The Explorer Dana35 and 8.8 rear can swap into a ranger, but...sounds like your front axle took a beating, so it's probably ruined.

Sure some Sports came with 3.73 gears. There were even Eddie Bauer 2-door 1st gens although they were extremely rare birds.

As far as the Aerostar question goes, I'm sure someone has done it (4WD conversion) but I don't have specific knowledge of anything. I would think it would be pretty difficult given the closely-packed front-end on those things...engine, trans, etc all very packed on an Aerostar.

Hey Rhett, thanks for the reply. Yeah, she (the other driver) was ok too but her whole front end was ripped apart and spread across the scene!

To be clear, the rear axle is the one that took the beating. Only beating the front axle took was rolling over the curb in the median (with inflated tires).

And one final option I just came across... http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5164099623.html
A 1990 F150 Extended cab with 4x4, manual transmission and the "bulletproof/torque monster" 300 inline six.

Honestly, I've been driving the explorer for several years now and am kindof interested in moving on. Plus a truck just fits in my life/business better right now. Also, I need to be back on the road quickly as my rental runs out in less than 4 days.

Only you can decide if you want to repair the Explorer or move on. If you want to fix it, now's the great opportunity to grab a D4 axle from a 1995 & up Explorer. Same 3.73LS but with disc brakes.

Thanks natenkiki2004,

Yeah, I was thinking about the disc brake swap. the only modifications are brake hoses and parking brake cable, right?

I have sourced a 3.73 limited slip disc brake axle for $185 locally. Got 4 used ranger wheels/tires for $50 and picked up my explorer today. Left rear wheel still wobbles a lot with the swapped wheels so the axle is indeed bent. Looks like the frame is okay though and everything else is as it was except for a new ticking in the brakes (which I assume is in the left rear drum).

I'm going to go ahead and repair my explorer. So now I'm looking at doing the disc/axle swap, refurbing the brakes, doing some front end and steering work, and possibly going for a little lift.

What do you all think is the best low-priced lifting option for 1.5 to 2 inches? Is it better to do a suspension lift rather than a body lift? I saw a rough country 4" lift kit with radius arm brackets, leaf springs, coil springs, etc for $680 on their website. I'd definitely like to spend less than that... do I need extended radius arms too? I'm new to lifting although I am mechanically inclined. Also, I have a welder and might be interested in just a spring over axle conversion. I'll search the forums for that now.

A couple things that I have read on this forum, and makes sense to me.

1, A 3" body lift is not real expensive or hard to install.

2, because of the way the explorer body sits down low on the frame, the body lift does not look out of place at all.

3, because of the added room, several pieces like the top two bolts on the transmission are a lot more simple to get to and work on in the future.

For a lift, I think a body lift makes sense to me.
Also a TT for the price of a front end alignment.
I have not decided on rear lift for me, think would prefer to add shackles but not sure yet.
My goal is to replace the stock 255 70 16 tires, with 285 70 16.

What do you all think is the best low-priced lifting option for 1.5 to 2 inches? Is it better to do a suspension lift rather than a body lift? I saw a rough country 4" lift kit with radius arm brackets, leaf springs, coil springs, etc for $680 on their website. I'd definitely like to spend less than that... do I need extended radius arms too? I'm new to lifting although I am mechanically inclined. Also, I have a welder and might be interested in just a spring over axle conversion. I'll search the forums for that now.

Cheapest susp lift, Warrior153 shackles and F150 coil spacers.

Rough Country lift is a budget lift. That's a lot of stuff for $680 but there is a reason it's only $680. Look at James Duff's 4" kit by comparison.

Another option are Skyjacker 2" lift coils, Moog K80109 camber bushings, and the Old Man Emu / ARB leaf pack (ARB part# CS042R) which is a flexy leaf pack with 2" lift built in.

More than 2" lift you will probably need radius arm drop brackets, extended pitman arm, etc. which raises the price accordingly. Spring over axle (SOA) you mention will give the rear 4"+ and as you know, to match that in front you'll have significant expenditure on additional parts.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I think I'm confusing spring over axle with something else... is that leaf spring over axle? I was thinking of how low the shock mounts are on the rear axle and how they drag when driving in ruts. I seem to recall people flipping axles over or something to get a couple more inches of clearance for the shock mounts...

Anyway, yeah, I don't want 4" of lift or any significant suspension/steering mods. Thanks for the advice.

Back