Considering Purchase of 04 XLT... BUT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering Purchase of 04 XLT... BUT

So did you buy it? (page 2 is mine:p:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the one we were looking at got away (well - we laid down an offer then walked away hoping for a call back but no luck). Now found nearly the same one that has the 4.6. Wife called her dad and he says dont get 4.6 unless we want to invest in an oil company. He has an '00 F150 with a 4.6 and cant stand the fuel he uses... looked up the goverment mpg ratings and they are pretty darn close (between 04 Exp. & a 00 F150). This being said - if the 8 is close to the 6 in mpg - then we may have to re-evaluate what we are looking at getting... guess it's just a fact of being in the SUV market.

I aggree above that if you keep your foot out of it that you will do quite well. My experience has been just that: let the bottom-end torque do the work - 8 cylinders that dont work hard just might beat 6 cylinders that are doing nothing but working.

Gonna test drive this one tomorrow and will look out for some of these things...

Dont be afraid of the 4.6
I have a 96 4.0 too and the mpg is only 1-2 mpg better than my 04 4.6.
If someone told you "If you give me an extra $5 / tank of gas and Ill give you a whole lot more power" you'd do it.
Go test drive a 4.6. You'll like it and if you end up with a 4.0, you'll always wish you went for the V8.

I'd also add, don't get a big ole explorer if your want something that sips fuel. My parents got a Honda CRV and they are quite happy with it, sips fuel, lots of space inside, it actually looks decent but....

I wouldn't get one cuz its not want I wanted/needed. If you get a truck that weighs 5500 lbs and can pull 7000 lbs on top of that, its gonna take some fuel to get it going whether its towing or not.
<

A friend of mine rented a 2004 4.0 eddie bauer and we drove both trucks on a 1000 mile trip and the difference in mpg was 1 mpg at most. However I still manage close to 22-23 mpg on the highway with the 3.73 gears at 60.

All in all, I'd never trade the 4.6 for a 4.0.

Ya - we talked and we came to the realization that if we feel we need a vehicle with this kind of room, we are gonna have to compromize on fuel economy. So..... Put a Deposit on her today and gonna test drive it / hopefully make a deal on saturday... Here is a list of things I wanna check (feel free to add anything):
- Rear & front main seals (leakage)
- Front & rear differentials (see if there is evidence of leakage)
- listen for gear R & P gear-wine @ highway speeds (even if I dont hear this - I realize that it could happen at any time so, whatever)
- pay close attention to shift points & RPM "flares"
- Anything I can listen for or visually inspect for the wheel bearings?
- Lemme know of anything else.. We will buy one of these so looks like im gonna be a regular on this site.

Bearings on their way out sound like a propeller plane, loud grumbling grinding sound as if you were rolling on big mud tires.

Check for heat and ac, as well as air flow in all hvac positions (apparently the blend door likes to go out on these) it could make a clicking sound, (front hvac or rear it makes the same noise)

check ball joints and tie rods for loosenes, front control arm bushings (makes the front suspension a bit sloppy)

valvetrain tapping that continues after engine has warmed up.

check to make sure 4x4 high and low (only on no friction surfaces) work as they should.

the rest is little stuff you check when buying a vehicle.

Be sure to do a compression check also.
Pull the dipstick and see what condition the oil is in, if it's jet black and reeks of hydrocarbons, run away, this is probably the norm for how the previous owner maintained the truck.
Open the radiator and shine a light in there. If it's full of mung, run away because the cooling system may not be in good order either.

PS. I'd LOVE to know how you guys are getting 20+ mpg in your 4.0L Explorer's. I have NEVER gotten better than 19 in mine.

Be sure to do a compression check also.
Pull the dipstick and see what condition the oil is in, if it's jet black and reeks of hydrocarbons, run away, this is probably the norm for how the previous owner maintained the truck.
Open the radiator and shine a light in there. If it's full of mung, run away because the cooling system may not be in good order either.

PS. I'd LOVE to know how you guys are getting 20+ mpg in your 4.0L Explorer's. I have NEVER gotten better than 19 in mine.

I got to ask... whats "mung"?

Our 4.0 Explorer gets 23-24MPG at 70MPH with the cruise set. It is a 2WD though. Gotta get used to people wizzing by you and not be the guy wizzing by others. Its hard to do at first. :)

trans. for 04.

No, Definently 04s are great. I just bout another 04 like 3 weeks ago, its been great. When i went to test drive it, everytime i switched into reverse it hesitated a little, but all it was was like a 50 dollar sensor. i will get the name for you. after they put that in, i havent had a problem yet! it runs great and i couldnt be happier. any more questions. just let me know.

Back