convert 1995 radio harness to 2000 radio harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

convert 1995 radio harness to 2000 radio harness

draketwins

Reaction score
City, State
Aliquippa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
:rolleyes: convert 1995 radio harness to 2000 radio harness

HELP ME PLEASE!

I purchased a 2000 ford explorer radio off of EBAY that has a cd player and cassette in it. I want to install it into a 1995 ford explorer. I got the old radio out easy enough but the way the 2000 radio plugs in is ENTIRELY different. I'm a laymen without a clue! Is there any way I can eaily convert radio harness/ plugs to install this system? Any links, phone numbers, ideas, would be very much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This won't be simple, but anything can be done. I assume the major differences are the 2000 radio has the amplifier built in, you 95 has it externally. My guess would be you would have to cut and connector the wires individually. You would also have to run new wires from the HU to the door speakers. There are also a couple wires you won't need for the rear audio controls. The harness in the truck will also have the remote turn on lead, and the positive wire for the amplifier. You won't need either of these.

I think in 99 they started putting in the mach system which had the amplifier. I would check to see if your radio is a normal one or one from the mach audio system.

It's SO MUCH easier just buying an aftermarket unit, plus you get more functions and better sound. Do what Mbrooks420 said if you're dead-set on installing that unit.

You're gonna have to find some connectors at a junkyard or such to splice everything together. You're going to need to find a schematic for the HU to know what each connector on the HU does. You're also going to have to bypass the stock amp. For all the work and money you're going to spend to get this to work you're better off with an aftermarket HU as stated before.

Do you have a test light, or a VOM meter? If not, you will likely need to get one. Do you have any harness for the radio at all? If you do post what wire colors there are and I'll see what I can figure out.

Thanks!

I'll post a pic of current wires

Allan

Back