Convert electric shift t-case to manual control! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Convert electric shift t-case to manual control!

Gremlinstien

Reaction score
City, State
Reeseville, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4dr
I figured out a simple but effective way to eliminate the electric control on just about any transfer case shift motor. As a bonus, the indicator lights should still work too if you have the wiring for them in your rig.

I will make the moddifications to your motor and ship it back to you in a day or two after I get it for $40 including the return shipping.

I will attach a 3/8 x 24 stud sticking out the end of the motor, which you can then attach a brake bias cable to in order to control it. The cables are available from just about any speed shop. It turns very easy and should be very problem free.

I have some pics of a modded shift motor here...

http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=233694#post233694

You can email me at 4xfab@charterinternet.com if you have an interest in this mod.

and again,,,thanks Rick!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you think about the 4WD engagement? The shift motor doesnt control 4wd engagement.

Yes I did,,in low range, the 1350/54 will shift into 4x4 with just the motor. I have been told that it will engage in high range too, but I am not 100% sure that is true from my testing. It would be pretty simple to wire a relay and switch to run the magnet if it is truely needed, as I suspect it is for 4 wheel Hi.

Good catch BTW! :thumbsup:

That's my co-Moderator !!! Mr. Transfer Case!

Here are the pictures from that link:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for adding the pics here. And I must say,,it's good to have a guy like IZwack keepin tabs on me,,keeps me on my toes! ;)

So what does the shift motor do then? Never messed with the T-case yet.

It seams like its more trouble to shift it this way at least to me it does.

Josh said:
So what does the shift motor do then? Never messed with the T-case yet.
All it does is slide the gear below from one position to another in a planetary gear set - therefore changing the gear ratio (from hi to lo).
sliding_gear.jpg

So what engages the 4WD? Thanks

BrooklynBay said:
I saw adapters in the link on that website under transmission adapters for the 2.8L, 2.9L, and 4.0L with an A4LD. Are those the ones that you are selling, or are they from somebody else?

Yep, those are my adapter kits. There is info there on my stublers too. I am trying to get info on all my stuff on my own site right now as well. I have some pretty good assembly pics of the stublers up already.

Check it out if you would like,,, http://www.4-x-fab.com ,,feel free to give me some input as well. Building "stuff" I am well versed in,,web sites are a whole different thing for me :confused:

And to answer Josh, some cases, like the 1354, have a elecro magnet in them to engage the front drive in 4 wheel HI.

That sounds like a solenoid actuator. Do you have a picture of it? It sounds like everybody has trouble with the motor, but not with that solenoid. If that part is a basic push/pull style, then you could also make a type of manual throttle cable for it.

It is definately a magnet. I sent you a couple pics of one (two really).

All one would need to do is wire a relay and a switch to power the magnet when in 4HI.

There really is no good way to eliminate the magnet that I can see. A cable deal wouldn't work on this one.

I think you guys are getting your t-cases confused. The mod mentioned and pictured above will work just fine for the 1st-gen BW 13-54 transfer cases. It will NOT, however, work on the BW 44-05 cases as they are electronically controlled (via the brown wire)

Now, if you wanted to, you could probably wire the 44-05 transfer case clutch coil to a manual switch to lock the driveshafts at will, and I see no reason you couldn't modify the motor for manual engagement of the low range planetary set as pictured above.

Just my thoughts.

-Joe

Oh, and as a note, the mods in this forum may want to edit the subject line to say, 'Convert electric-shift 13-54 to manual control.' or something along those lines....

-Joe

Back