• Register Today It's free!

coolant leaking

duckdog27

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
After driving home from work this evening (in -3 degree weather) and parking I noticed that my temp gauge had gone all the way to H. I could hear coolant bubbling and when I pulled the hood up antifreeze was everywhere. The overflow resevoir was completely full and dumping coolant everywhere. The fluid looked markably clear, not the usual green. I know I put in the correct 50/50 mixture. Does anyone know what is wrong? I could not find any other spots where it was leaking. One more thing, when I pulled the pressure release valve on my radiator cap coolant began to pour out of the overflow resevoir. Thanks for the help. I need the car to get home for Christmas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went out fifteen minutes later and the overflow resevoir was completely empty and there was hardly any coolant in the radiator itself. I refilled the radiator and resevoir with a higher concentration of coolant and let the engine run for 15 minutes, which in that time I noticed that the top radiator hose to the thermastat contained no liquid and was therefore cold. Could the coolant have frozen in such cold weather if I mistakenly put in the wrong mixture?!?? THanks for your help!

maybe, i know that coolant can mess up if its not correct 50/50 mixture in this cold weather.

quite likely.... fill it (watch the temp gauge) and look for leaks at the freeze plugs on the sides of the block.

That is fairly classic symptoms of a a frozen engine. Let it thaw and top up with a stronger mix. Bleed all the air out.

What's the best way to bleed air from the cooling system?

I usually just release the highest hose and top up until water flows. Then run engine with the rad cap off until the thermostat opens. Top up gain and squeeze the top hose to expel air.

I let the engine run for fifteen minutes and the lower radiator hose never got hot. The upper began to get warm and the engine never overheated, but remained between N and R. I'll try again later but I have no way to warm up the engine but to let it sit there in the cold and run. No coolant was leaking from the freeze plugs or anywhere else.

Could the water pump be toast if the lower radiator hose is not getting warm? Or is the bottom of the radiator frozen, which I think it may be b/c it has been so darn cold here (New Hampshire). I really need some help. Should I take it to a ford dealership to diagnose and fix the problem? Thanks.

duckdog27 said:
Or is the bottom of the radiator frozen, which I think it may be b/c it has been so darn cold here (New Hampshire).

That could well be the problem. If you can try using a hairdryer to thaw the bottom of the rad. You could check by disconecting the top and bottom hose and see if you get a good flow of water.

If replacing the thermostat, I like to wedge it open with a Lifesaver, or some type of candy... It allows coolant and air to easily get past the thermostat (rather than through the little air bleed) and it will melt rather quickly.

It was the thermostat...it was stuck closed. Thanks for all your help.

50/50 Prestone is good to -34F. I don't think freezing is your problem at all. The reason is because I have a 91 4.0 sitting in my garage that is doing the exact same thing and the garage is heated. It is a new engine I got off the internet from Michigan Motors. After I installed the engine the transmission would not work even using Glacier and Brain's assistance. Had it rebuilt and now the engine problem. The catalytic conv. is gutted and steam is coming out the exhaust. I am pulling plugs today and hope it isn't another set of cracked heads!

Back