Cooper Discoverer AT3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooper Discoverer AT3

I need to buy a new set of tires for my parents' 2009 Explorer. I am planning to stick with the stock size. I have been looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3's and I am curious as to how noisy they are on dry pavement and how they handle on wet pavement?

Do a google search on tire performance or go to www.tirerack.com or www.treaddepot.com and read what others have to say. I also found a site called www.consumer-recalls.com (or something similar) where people mainly complained about certain brands of tires or auto work performed. Just keep in mind that variables exist. For instance, I have been researching those tires, and am considering getting them for my wife's Edge. While the reviews may be good for the Explorer or Ranger, some may not like them on the Edge. You may be more picky than me, or vice versa, and we may disagree as to the amount of acceptable noise the tires exibit. I have never really understood what people are talking about when they say that their tires are excessively noisy. Anyway, you can replace stock with anything of the same size. The Edge came with Hankook Dynasty AS tires that I am impressed with, but I don't care to spend $150 + balance + mount/per tire. I went to the dealer last year to have two of those replaced with new Hankook Dynasty tires, and now the other original two need replacing. I was recommended Cooper, but I'm not sure which particular one. In Ohio, we have a national chain called NTB that I will most likely go to. They are currently running a buy two get two free or buy one get one free if a premium installation + one year alignment is purchased. I belong to a forum called www.fordrangerforum.com, and there are many posts about tires. A lot of people swear by BFG AT, but I can't justify $200 per tire. I think a lot has to do with paying a premium price translates into automatically a better product. Another suggestion is Firestone Destination tires. My Ranger runs on OEM Continental Centrictrac (or something like that), and I am overall pleased with those -- eventhough I will probably replace with something less expensive. I also hear that Kelly or Mastercraft tires are good (both made by Cooper, I think) or Pirelli (had a pair on my old Ranger) but can't really comment much except they are a premium tire and a little on the pricey side.

Back