• Register Today It's free!

correct piston to rod assembly

reclineaholic

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB
Hi all, I'm in the process of putting new rings and bearings and doing a valve job on a 1992 4.0L push rod motor out of a wrecked Ranger for my 1991 Explorer. This engine had 155k miles, appears to have never been apart and was running good. Here's my dilemma, as I disassembled the engine I noticed all the numbers on the rods and rod caps faced the right bank and all the oil squirters in the rods squirted to the right, the arrows on the pistons did point fwd. Alldata's manual says right bank oil squirters should squirt right and left bank oil squirters should squirt left with all piston arrows pointing fwd. Everything on this engine mics to spec and looks good so should I press the rods and pistons apart, and risk damaging something, to turn the oil squirters the right way or put it back like it was since it looks like it worked well the way it was? Any input here would be appreciated. Thanks Dan

My opinion: If the motor was running OK before and everything was within specs, I would leave the pistons in their stock orientation.

thanks tenntechman thats what I'm thinking too. I don't even know if the Alldata manual is correct. Dan

Back