4.0 vin e pistons and rods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 vin e pistons and rods

laker82

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer xlt
Getting ready to reassemble doing timing chain replacement, rings and bearings.

Rods were stamped 1 through 6 in that order on crank, some stamped and some needled numbers. Not stamped according to piston #ing .

Now that the pistons are cleaned I see arrows and numbers on the piston tops as well. Those #'s do not match the rod #'s. I have (2) 2 and (2) 3's on the pistons.

I get the arrows should face forward and from another post of ford's 97 manual rods should have all oil ejection holes facing the right side of the engine.

Are any of those #s from the factory? If I follow the #'s on the rods as I disassembled it, the arrows go front and back.

What #'s have others found for factory numbering upon disassembly?

With new bearings and new rings and honed walls I am inclined to just put them in all arrows forward, all oil holes to the right side and not worry.

engine assembly

The following is from my 2002 Workshop Manual:

Disassembly
NOTE: The connecting rod bolts and nuts cannot be reused.
NOTE: Mark the position of the parts, so they can be installed in their original position.

Assembly
NOTE: Apply a light coat of clean engine oil to all parts. Install the piston in the connecting rod with the cylinder number side of the rod and the indentation notch in the piston on the same side.
NOTE: The oil hole in connecting rod must face the RH side of the cylinder block and the arrow on the piston must face the front of the engine block.
NOTE: If the piston pin is removed from the piston, a new piston and pin assembly must be used. Do not reuse the piston or piston pin.
NOTE: Position the piston with the indentation arrow toward the front of the cylinder block.

Torque values: SOHC V6 Torque Specifications

PM me your email address if you want general engine assembly instructions which include timing the camshafts.

Thanks 2000StreetRod,
I will put it together ignoring the old #'s and follow the arrows and oil holes.

Did the factory number the pistons or rods? Cannot see any reason they would have done that.

Back