could cps cause misfire/hesitation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

could cps cause misfire/hesitation

Hyper26414

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0L 98 XLT
Could the cam position sensor cause misfire or hesitation. I have a chirping sound like a bad pulley coming from the engine bay. It is very intermittent and I haven't been able to catch where it is coming from. Sometimes when I have to accelerate quickly and mash on the gas the truck hesitates for a second and then goes as normal. Also at the speed of like 30 mph it feels like it is missing. Could the cam position sensor cause this or could it be something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know much about the cps, except that it helps synchronize the fuel injectors with the intake valves so the fuel is injected at the right time. if the cps was bad, or off, it should be throwing a trouble code and your CEL would be on... i think

It is throwing an egr code but I have replaced the egr ans the riser pipe so I just need to get the sensor replaced. I have no codes other than that unless my sct livewire wouldn't read a cps code?

It is throwing an egr code but I have replaced the egr ans the riser pipe so I just need to get the sensor replaced. I have no codes other than that unless my sct livewire wouldn't read a cps code?

well maybe the hesitation could be caused by the EGR sensor, if the EGR sensor is bad then the computer has no idea what the EGR is doing... maybe it's running lean to try and compensate for the EGR not working... i dont know...

i'm pretty sure if you had a CPS problem it would be throwing codes based on that particular sensor. if you're getting EGR codes, you may need to get that sensor fixed first and see what happens

Yeah I know I need to get that fixed its just been too cold lately and I haven't felt like it. I will get it fixed however and see what happens.:D

Yeah I know I need to get that fixed its just been too cold lately and I haven't felt like it. I will get it fixed however and see what happens.:D

sorry i dont have any other recommendations, but that would be the only thing i know to do for the time being :dunno:

[EDIT]also, since the weather has gotten cold, my X occasionally squeaks on a cold start, so maybe its just the weather making yours squeak

It seems to squeak more when the weather gets warmer actually.

There is a perfect way to tes the EGR valve and the DPFE ( Differential Pressure Feedback EGR ). Take the vacuum line off the EGR and plug it up with something, like a screw...This will cause a CEL but dont worry. By doing this, it completely bypasses the EGR so the valve cant open at all. See what happens and if it fixes it.

If taking the vacuum line off the EGR does fix it, then its the DPFE thats bad. I think this is a Ford only part sold at the stealership. It doesnt cost much though....

I will try that thank you!:D

Back