• Register Today It's free!

Couple of Q's on removing 5-speed

navyX04

Reaction score
City, State
Lindley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
I am in the middle of removing a manual tranny and my questions are: 1) I have all (5) of the x-fer case to tranny bolts removed and I can't break the damn case loose from the tranny for nothing. Can I slide the x-fer case and tranny out as one unit? 2) Is there enough room to slide the tranny past the exhaust y-pipe? I sure would hate to have to bust that damn thing loose. I know I would end up with 4 broken off bolts in the exhaust manifolds. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going once...

when I took mine out, I took the tranny and tranfercase out as one. I think its alot easier to do also I didn't unhook the exhaust from the engine and once I started to pull it out and then put it back in man did I wish I would have took the exhaust off. its doable with the exhaust on but just alot harder not much room. sorry don't know about the transfer case situation

Thanks for the reply. I figured I could take it off as one unit but the book said to remove it first. I think I'll try to wiggle the tranny around the pipes as well, regardless of the hassle. I just didn't know if the input shaft would clear the engine before it hit the pipes. Another thing I thought of last night is to cut the pipes nice and straight and weld 'em back together.

I personally would take the tcase loose. We just got the tcase off of my brothers 92 that had never been done. Just work a pry bar in there and it will come loose. I couldn't imagine trying to line that thing up and get it all square with the tcase attached, man that would suck.

Happy trails!!

Back