5 speed Tranny...How does it hold up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed Tranny...How does it hold up?

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Since I have done the mods to my X, I'm wondering how the stock 5 speed tranny will hold up. Is it a reliable tranny? I only have 55K miles, but don't want it to die. Is it the same tranny used in Bronco II's? I had an 88B2 & the manual tranny died fast, & left my stranded 2 times. I hope the X's 5 speed is better. Is there anything I can do to it to make it stronger, without a rebuild?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5 speed in my '92 lasted 92k before it gave up. The input shaft bearing went, and took a lot with it. Cost about $1500 for the rebuild (including clutch).

Are the manual transmissions the same in the '95-2000 explorers as the pre '95 models?

M5OD

Your 94 should have the Mazda M5OD (Mazda 5 speed OverDrive) tranny...if youre looking for tips about the only simple thigns to do are use synthetic DexronIII/Mercon ATF in it, and replace the plastic plugs in the rear of the tranny with metal freeze plugs. Look around on the site for info and part#s on doing this.

Other than that, its a good tranny but definitely for light-duty use...it will last as long as you keep up the maintainance and perhaps get a new clutch and the necessary parts before things start to look bad. Some feel a complete rebuild or just new tranny is in order depending on the situation as some problems with the tranny has left more than one of us scratching our heads...

Jason-the one in my '91 as lasted nearly 145k before it needed work on it. My ****er plate started to leak. I also had the slave bearing replaced by recommendation of the tranny guy. Surprisingly, my clutch still had a lot of meat on it. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by S.Matsushige
My ****er plate started to leak.
What exactly is the purpose of the ****er plate in a tranny? ;)

You put that on baby transmissions so their s*%+ doesn't leak out. Sounds like his outgrew that size :)

ehehe a "****er plate". I couldn't help but laugh when I read that one...

my 5 speed has been very reliable, no problems at all. my only complaint is that it isn't a 6 speed. when i'm on the highway about 65mph, it feels like there should be another gear to ****f in to. is there any way to put a 6 speed in an explorer?

Sorry guys for the moment of brain lock and bad grammer. i.e. shifter plate. he-he

I too agree that a 6 spd would be cool on the highway. Imagine the mpg.

Back