Couple problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Couple problems

00Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I recently started having a couple different problem with my 2000 explorer xls

#1) steering wheel shakes somtimes, mostly on the freeway, when im doing over 50mph and will stop shaking if i turn the wheels slightly in either direction...does not happen all the time.

#2) check engine light came on and got it checked, dont remember the exact code but it said running rich/ to much air-fuel mixture...just wondering what i can do to fix that problem...

#3) Car never seems to heat up. The temp just goes right above the cold mark and wont get no higher.even when im driving for a long time. Was thinking it was a temp sensor or somthing

#4)when i start the explorer i the morning it seems to shake and want to drop below 1k rpm and shut off..i have to keep pushing the gas for about a min or 2 to keep it running then its fine..

Just want to know if anybody can help me with any of these problems so i can fix them over the weekend..thanks for any help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#1) steering wheel shakes sometimes, mostly on the freeway, when im doing over 50mph and will stop shaking if i turn the wheels slightly in either direction...does not happen all the time.

i bet this is an alignment issue like gman said bad tie rods,

#3) Car never seems to heat up. The temp just goes right above the cold mark and wont get no higher.even when im driving for a long time. Was thinking it was a temp sensor or something

this could be a bad thermostat,

mine explorer did the same thing it would start up and fall under 500 then die..i had to push the gas for a min then it would be fine...

The Fix....i took the vaulve off thats on the driversside of the intake and cleaned it then i noticed that the electric connecter was not sitting in there good so i cuted it off and went and got a new tail for it and spliced it on now it runs like its brand new and i dont have that problems anymore...hope this works it did for me

i wanna say the vaulve is called the "IAC"..if thats not it maybe someone can get it right!!

Change the thermostat. For $10 you can't go wrong, it will probably fix one or two of your problems.

Some fixed

ok so i finally got around to fixing some problems....

#1 fixed...(bad tie rods)
#3 fixed...(thermostat)
#4 fixed...(well it just stopped stalling now that the weather got warmer)
THANKS GUYS

Only problem left is the check engine code...mechanic told me to change spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, and clean MAF sensor....So i did....light it still on....still giving me the same code...running to rich/ to much air/fuel mixture.... Any ideas????

I would look at your O2 sensors next. Make sure the are cycling like they are supposed to. That code should tell you what bank it is to. If it says bank one its the drivers side, bank two is passenger side. Simple scan tool should be able to do live readings of the O2 sensors and you will be able to tell if they are cycling. 0-1 Volt. Primary sensors will cycle back and forth between almost 0 and almost 1 volt.

Erase the codes and see if they come back. The new stat may have taken care of your running rich problem. Please report results.

What code is it? (Number)

I would look at your O2 sensors next. Make sure the are cycling like they are supposed to. That code should tell you what bank it is to. If it says bank one its the drivers side, bank two is passenger side. Simple scan tool should be able to do live readings of the O2 sensors and you will be able to tell if they are cycling. 0-1 Volt. Primary sensors will cycle back and forth between almost 0 and almost 1 volt.

You have it backwards, I believe. Bank #1 always has cylinder #1; cylinder #1 is on passenger side.

Tomorrow i will get the exact CEL code so u guys might b able to help me more.. cuz i cant remember..i will post it up..thanks

As was stated earlier, clear the codes and see if the light comes back on. It takes a couple drive cycles for the light to go off on it's own.

intake manifold gaskets

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261439

I had that code for over a year if not more. I tried everything except o2 sensors until a kid at a carquest told me about the intake gaskets. Not a hard job and it cured my problem. The 00M12 kit comes with the front timing chain tensioner and upper and lower gaskets. The plastic manifold on the metal block allows the seal to wear out with age. Get the rear tensioner while you're at it. 2000StreetRod has a lot of helpful threads. Try tousleyfordparts.com to find the parts. He has them listed in his threads. They cost a little bit but better than buying o2 sensors if you don't need them. $100 here and there helps. Good Luck

(hope I posted this link right)

Don't understand how a leaking intake gasket can lead to a "rich" trouble code????? I had leaking intake gasket that gave me a "lean" code.

Back