• Register Today It's free!

Cracked D Pillar

Chimmy76

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Tundra
My rear drivers side D pillar has a small crack in it . Has anyone else experienced this on their explorer? The rear window does it have to be removed for it to be replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a hole in the pillar all the way to the back when the dealer hit dinged it by accident. They have to remove the rearmost window to get to the D pillar and put it back on and test it with water for leaks.

Did it take long to r&r the parts were they able to reuse your original window?

They had to order the D pillar and when it got here, it took them about two days (mainly because they needed to get some specialized people that works with glass to seal it and make sure the window doesn't leak) Yes, they reuse the original window.

My rear drivers side D pillar has a small crack in it . Has anyone else experienced this on their explorer? The rear window does it have to be removed for it to be replaced?

Did you ever have it fixed? Mine is broken from being hit by a football. Does the rear window HAVE to come out??? I was hoping to order the part and do it myself.

Did you ever have it fixed? Mine is broken from being hit by a football. Does the rear window HAVE to come out??? I was hoping to order the part and do it myself.

It's secured in place behind the rear side window, so yes, window has to be removed.

No I never had it fixed . I traded it in on my Tundra.

It's secured in place behind the rear side window, so yes, window has to be removed.

Wow...what a dumb design for something that easily breaks.

I have had nearly identical cracks develop in both D-pillars, a few inches down from the top on the front edge, both about an inch or so long angled slightly up. To me they look like stress fractures, no way they could be damage from an object or anything like that as their characteristics are too similar. I really hate plastic trim on metal structure. I am not sure when they developed but I didn't notice them until I had some hit and run damage on my tailgate and bumper repaired. Was hoping I could just pop them off and replace them, but looks like they will remain cracked as I don't want to risk getting leaks.

I've just noticed today identical cracks on both d pillars of my 2011 explorer. Anyone know what caused this? They were just noticed today. Covered by extended warranty?

I've just noticed today identical cracks on both d pillars of my 2011 explorer. Anyone know what caused this? They were just noticed today. Covered by extended warranty?
I picture of this 'crack' issue would sure be helpful to show exactly what the problem is. The ESP brochure shows all the items that are not covered. If it is considered 'trim' or a 'cosmetic' issue than it is not covered.

Peter

I picture of this 'crack' issue would sure be helpful to show exactly what the problem is. The ESP brochure shows all the items that are not covered. If it is considered 'trim' or a 'cosmetic' issue than it is not covered.

Peter
Thank you peter for your response. I will attach a picture tomorrow when I get home. It was just really upsetting to see thsee two cracks pointed out to me. They are identical. I've had several issues with this vehicle since purchasing last may 2015. It has been at the dealer three times since then. I am glad for the most part has been covered under ford premium care but at $100 per pop. This is a ford certified used vehicle.

Ah, a Ford certified Explorer. The Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty is not the same as the Ford ESP warranty. Looking over the CPO brochure it does not show where your issue would be covered.

Peter

Ah, a Ford certified Explorer. The Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty is not the same as the Ford ESP warranty. Looking over the CPO brochure it does not show where your issue would be covered.

Peter
I do have the ford premium care warranty too and do not see anything listed for the pillars.

I have had nearly identical cracks develop in both D-pillars, a few inches down from the top on the front edge, both about an inch or so long angled slightly up. To me they look like stress fractures, no way they could be damage from an object or anything like that as their characteristics are too similar.

Was giving the car its Easter washing today and noticed these same cracks. Identical in size, location, length, and angle on both D-pillar trim pieces. I can see the crack continuing behind the rear side windows which from reading some of the comments above, doesn't sound like it's an easy piece to replace without messing with the window. Just wondering if anyone who has had these fixed knows what caused it. Anything structural? I've noticed that my power lift gate seems to be groaning lately as it goes up and down so just wondering if it might be related.

IMAG0402.jpg
IMAG0403.jpg

Dammit FORD - QUALITY is NOT Job #1

I too just noticed these cracks on the D Pillar of my 2011 Explorer... What is it about Ford Explorer and their cracks???

Especially those early 2000 model Explorers and their azz-crack on the hatchback door - every single one of them - I see a crack going down the middle panel of the hatch!

So, first we have the arm rest crack - then the original Michelin tire cracks and now this crack(s) - WTF Ford! You're cracking me up!

IMG_6699.jpg

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

Looking on the internet - this seems to be a problem with the Ford Flex as well - lots of documented stories about D Pillar stress cracks - almost in the same place.

Mine haven't progressed any further. I'm leaving it for now. Appears in previous posts that you need to remove the quarter panel glass to remove the plastic trim which seems to be a pain in the ass. If you look behind the glass you can see a screw head which seems like where the crack starts. My guess is the D pillar flexes too much under the weight of the rear hatch when it's open and the screw head is the stress riser causing the trim to crack. Love my Explorer, hate the BS quality issues

Mine haven't progressed any further. I'm leaving it for now. Appears in previous posts that you need to remove the quarter panel glass to remove the plastic trim which seems to be a pain in the ass. If you look behind the glass you can see a screw head which seems like where the crack starts. My guess is the D pillar flexes too much under the weight of the rear hatch when it's open and the screw head is the stress riser causing the trim to crack. Love my Explorer, hate the BS quality issues

...the next time you're out washing it...if you get up to look at the roof, do you notice any cracks in the paint along the seam between the roof rack supports? You have to look down inside of where the water channel is, between the roof rack supports on each side.

BTW, thanks for your update - glad to know that I should not expect a 4" crack next week!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back