Cracked Head?????? Coolant spewing from cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Head?????? Coolant spewing from cap

explorerjim

Reaction score
City, State
minn
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 and 2001 Explorer XLT
Just need someone to second my diagnosois. 2001 Explorer xlt, 4.0, sohc This engine ran perfect and did not use a drop of oil.

The thermostat housing nipple on my 2001 Explorer cracked while doing 65 on Interstate 494. Ex was shut down immediately and towed home for repairs. Picked up a housing at a junk yard and installed and refilled the radiator. As soon as I turned the engine over, coolant started spraying out of the radiator cap and immediately filled the overflow tank. I removed radiator cap after pressure subsided. Cranked the engine over without the cap on and great volumes of coolant sprayed out of the radiator. I haven't run it long enough to see if there is white smoke coming out of the tailpipe or water in the oil.

I'm assuming I cracked a head or blew a head gasket. Anyone other ideas????

You've definately got something going on......The best way to check for cracked head/headgaskets is to perform a block test. Here is a block testing kit. If I remember right Napa sells just the graduated cylinder and the fluid.

Back