Cranks but not start issue and anti theft light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cranks but not start issue and anti theft light flashing

Juustino102

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
So I have a 98 ford explorer and the other day I was driving it and all of a sudden it died. And when I try and start it it cranks but no start. I also tried rolls starting it. So I thought either I'm not getting any spark. Or fuel but I wasn't sure. So I got it towed home and when I was working on it I noticed that when I turn the key on the anti theft light keeps flashing. I can't figure a way to make it go off. Also when. I hook up my obd2 to the car. It won't respond to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no expert ( I know a great way to start off eh) but it sounds like the PATS/security stuff is preventing you from getting spark, it could mean something else is fried though ie: computer.

If yours has PATS and you're using the same key and everything like you've always done, this doesn't sound good.

It is the pats system I believe. But I think it's the pcm. Like the ground strap. Or a fuse but I can't look Cuz its dark. Cuz I read that if the pcm goes out or dosnt have power the anti theft will activate. But I think it's odd it won't connect to obd2

Check your fuses. I had similar symptoms with my '01 Sport Trac a year ago. I had pulled the fuses out one by one to check them trying to figure out another problem, and left one out. A blown fuse would act the same as no fuse. I don't think mine would even crank though, but the theft light continued flashing when I turned the key and OBD2 wouldn't respond.

It was a fuse. But now I'm having problems with 4x4. I just put it in 4x4 low and then put it back to auto. And I heard the sound. But it acts like I am still in 4 low

Just my $0.02 here, Juustino, but I think I would post a new thread with the new problem as your title. Probably get more nibbles that way.

You can shift from 2WD to 4WD High on the go and vice versa, but there is a procedure to shift to and from 4WD Low. I don't know the procedure to shift to and from 4WD Low for a '98 Explorer, but the instructions for the 2001-5 Sport Tracs are,

Come to a stop, depress the brake, shift the trans to neutral, move the 4WD control to the desired position (4WD High, 4WD Low, or 2WD), wait for the indicator light to change. Put it in gear & go.

It was a fuse. But now I'm having problems with 4x4. I just put it in 4x4 low and then put it back to auto. And I heard the sound. But it acts like I am still in 4 low
What fuse was it justin

If you’re stuck in 4 low, pulling a fuse won’t fix your issue.

Back