98 Explorer anti-theft | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer anti-theft

Fun fact... If you hold your factory key next to the lock, the RF chip will allow a standard key copy to start engine.

Okay but what point is there in doing so?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how hard a life your keys have, but IMO it's the cylinder that usually wears out before the key.

Older alarm systems use a coded key in the system, hidden away among the wiring, to bypass the PATS to start. They say that in the instructions, I don't know how they work that out with the key cylinder sensor there.

Older alarm systems use a coded key in the system, hidden away among the wiring, to bypass the PATS to start. They say that in the instructions, I don't know how they work that out with the key cylinder sensor there.
They have a remote wire halo that goes around the receiver. They are supposed to only send out the signal when the remote start is active, so when the truck is sitting the PATS is still functional.

Just In case my OEM key gets worn down and won't unlock. I can use my hidden spare copy key.
You could also just swap the chip to the new key. Or, have 2 good keys so you could just make more. Or, use FORScan.

Thanks, I have one somewhere in a box, but forgot most of what I read when I unpacked it 10+ years ago.

Thanks, I have one somewhere in a box, but forgot most of what I read when I unpacked it 10+ years ago.
I had to figure it out when I accidentally broke the key box wiring. Mine was installed before I bought it. The key in the box was uncut.

The transceiver is a dumb device. It simply picks up the RF and checks for a match. No programming required.
For that matter, couldn't he just tape the old fob TO the transceiver, practically eliminating "check" of that system? This is what I was considering on a '00 Grand Cherokee, but that problem was fixed with a new switch (worn contacts)

Sure. But then some knucklehead would try and hot wire it.

A friend of mine tried to "hotwire" his explorer because he lost the keys. Ended up buying a new ignition lock cylinder now the anti-theft is flashing rapidly when ignition is turned on and even while cranking engine. Can someone tell me what we need to do to get this car started? I don't understand how anti-theft could be triggered by replacing an ignition lock cylinder. And I have replaced a lot of ignition lock cylinders. What could he have done to trigger the anti-theft that he's not telling me? And I am so sorry if I'm not posting in the right place as this is my first time here.

You can get the codes to program them here

A locksmith or ford will have to program it though

You can get the codes to program them here

A locksmith or ford will have to program it though

Thanks for the link, but if I understand that page, it does not give you codes to program, just the key cutting depths to make a new key mechanically fit the original factory lock cylinders, which won't work now to start it (except for doors and rear liftgate) because the ignition cylinder has already been swapped.

Plus before I fully read the page, looked like a free service but now looks like $25 a pop to get key codes. Even so it could be less expensive, to do this to cut keys for the doors and liftgate, if having a 2nd key (different than the ignition key) for them is acceptable, rather than paying a locksmith to pull one of those lock cylinders and reverse engineer the key cut needed, or rekey them all to fit the ignition cylinder key.

Back