Creeping while in Park...revisited. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Creeping while in Park...revisited.

TommyEX

Reaction score
City, State
NY NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT AWD
Here is the original thread.

Found out from my mechanic that the front driveshaft was indeed missing in action. I told him I looked underneath the car and discovered the front driveshaft missing and he replied matter of factly that yes, he too noticed it missing when he did the brake job a few weeks back. :rolleyes:

I wanted to thank all who responded so quickly with possible answers and remedies to the original post. I especially wanted to thank BlownPony306 whith whom I exchanged several PM's with. Thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup:

So, whats next? Where can I buy a complete front driveshaft with all bolts and pieces included? I've got my fingers crossed that this is only a CV joint problem that the previous owner didn't want to address and nothing more serious.

Next step is to buy a driveshaft. If anyone knows where I could buy a complete setup new or reman, I'd appreciate the advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Head over to the "Wanted" section within the classifieds & start a new thread. I'm sure someone out there has one they'd be willing to let go for cheap.
Good luck - glad EF could help ya out.

I just went over to Rockauto.com - they've got them there, new & reman...good luck

New from Ford they are like $500 or more. I did find a guy that sold rebuilt ones for like 220 shipped. I am trying to find what I did with his email address though. If I can dig it up I will let you know. Do know if you had the CV driveshaft or the non-CV? My 98 AWD had a CV driveshaft.

The 96 has a double cardan joint. Not the CV like in later years.

Yeah that's the guy that I was talking about. Send him an email and he may be able to help you out as well. I don't know if they do any of the earlier model ones or not.

The saga continues... :banghead:

Got a brand new front driveshaft from Ebay for a good price. Anyway, spent Saturday with my mechanic installing the driveshaft. We get it off the lift and I get thr dreaded clunking from the transfer case... :(

So, the mystery of the missing front driveshaft is solved (thanks to all of you) and I'm off in search of a BW 4404.

Anyone know the oil capacity of the transfer case and have a recommendation for weight and type of oil?

Thanks for all the help gang!

Sorry to hear that. I had the CV problem a month after I bought my 98, on Christmas night. I had a front shaft built, and a custom adapter to bolt it on, total of $220. The new Ford shaft for mine would have been $310.

The AWD cases are good units. Hunt around on Ebay, and run a search here too.
The transfer cases take Mercon III, I was told years ago to change that before anything else. They take only a quart or two. Good luck,
Don

Damn, that sucks. I'd sell you my x-fer case cheap but I have to wait until I can get an Atlas 2 to put in its place. :D I hope you find one soon though.

Hey guys, I got a "happy ending!" ;)

I did a search of the for sale forum and found someone who had been selling a transfer case for my application but there were no updates as to weather it was sold or not. I gave it a shot and found out Eckerta82 still had the BW 4404 for sale. We worked out a price, he shipped it, and my mechanic installed it. Works great and I already have 300 miles on it. Thanks again guys for all your helpful advice and thank you Eckerta82.

Now I can concentrate on the "enjoy" part of my Explorer. :cool:

Back