• Register Today It's free!

cruise control activating brakes

andyman793

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Limited X
Is it possible to disable or reduce the sensitivity of the cruise control applying the brakes? When cresting a hill I noticed that the cruise will apply the brakes to keep the speed exactly what it is set to. I'd rather let the vehicle drift 1 or 2 mph before clamping down only to have to accelerate again in a 1/4 mile. I tried disabling the adaptive cruise and disabling the emergency braking and it didn't change this behavior.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AFAIk it's not possible with a GUI setting, maybe there's something that can be done elsewhere with forscan or something

Initially it removes throttle...as you already know, and then downshifts if required. Mine has never activated the brakes, even on steep hills.

I have used "descent control" on occasion while off road. Not the same thing.

I hope they will adjust that CC behavior, that's why best fuel mileage occurs while not using the CC. You want the speed to go above the chosen mph, going downhill, and let it drop slightly below chosen, when going uphill. Truckers have done that forever, not just due to their weight. So ideally a cruise control should have a range of speed it holds, but it would need to also have inclination input to do that at all.

Is it possible to disable or reduce the sensitivity of the cruise control applying the brakes? When cresting a hill I noticed that the cruise will apply the brakes to keep the speed exactly what it is set to. I'd rather let the vehicle drift 1 or 2 mph before clamping down only to have to accelerate again in a 1/4 mile. I tried disabling the adaptive cruise and disabling the emergency braking and it didn't change this behavior.
I doubt that is possible. After all, the purpose of the system is to maintain a constant speed. I also doubt that brakes are being applied. What you feel is no different than letting your foot off the accelerator. Disabling Emergency Braking won't do anything in this case since that system depends upon the front sensors/radar. If you don't want it slowing down just apply a little pressure on the accelerator.

Peter

I doubt that is possible. After all, the purpose of the system is to maintain a constant speed. I also doubt that brakes are being applied. What you feel is no different than letting your foot off the accelerator. Disabling Emergency Braking won't do anything in this case since that system depends upon the front sensors/radar. If you don't want it slowing down just apply a little pressure on the accelerator.

Peter
The brake lights activated going down the hill when the cruise was on and I felt the brakes applying. If I have to accelerate through the cruise it defeats the purpose of having cruise control. I was trying to get a good mpg rating on this tank of gas and hitting the brakes when coasting down a hill is not helping.

I didn't think the systems that I have control over would stop the brakes from activating but I had to try it just to see what would happen.

........................................... If I have to accelerate through the cruise it defeats the purpose of having cruise control. .................................................
As mentioned the purpose of cruise control is to keep the vehicle at a constant speed which is exactly what it is doing going downhill.

Peter

I agree with Peter that the brakes are not being applied due to the CC function. The CC adjusts the throttle to try to maintain one speed. Going down hill it will let the throttle close back to an idle level if that's what it needs to be sure the engine isn't increasing the speed.

I too would suggest, apply the throttle slightly when you know you are going to be going down a long hill, to allow the vehicle to save kinetic energy, to go a little faster, say 5mph by the bottom. Then slowly let off the throttle as it goes up the next hill.

The best way to see how that works, is to watch the constant MPG readout of the trip display. If you watch that, you will notice that the MPG doesn't drop much when you help it go gain speed going downhill, and likewise, it won't drop that much if you help it to maintain speed going uphill(I mean you control the drop in speed going uphill, to let it fall back to the CC setting before it reaches the top).

The ideal is to have the speed slowly increase going downhill, and slowly decrease going uphill. A CC could be programmed to do that, but it would have to have input about the length of the hills, up and down. That would require some advanced GPS and topography data for all or most roads. I think that's beyond our available data being used for GPS etc.

Maybe it's just with adaptive Cruise on, but I'm sure mine will apply the brakes, and will bring the car to a complete stop

In such cases when going downhil, press the cancel button to temporarily disengage CC and then once finished press resume. I don't think CC will ever be programmed to allow for higher speeds because they would run in to liability issues due to vehicles overspeeding and presenting legal and/or safety issues.
Imagine setting the speed at 60 mph in a 55 zone, then during a downhill speed increases to 65 or 70 and you get clocked by a speed camera or get involved in an accident, who would be responsible for overspeeding?

In such cases when going downhil, press the cancel button to temporarily disengage CC and then once finished press resume. I don't think CC will ever be programmed to allow for higher speeds because they would run in to liability issues due to vehicles overspeeding and presenting legal and/or safety issues.
Imagine setting the speed at 60 mph in a 55 zone, then during a downhill speed increases to 65 or 70 and you get clocked by a speed camera or get involved in an accident, who would be responsible for overspeeding?
Yup, 100% this

Maybe it's just with adaptive Cruise on, but I'm sure mine will apply the brakes, and will bring the car to a complete stop
I believe that is the Adaptive Cruise Control with the Stop and Go feature. I've used that once and it was a little nerve-wracking the first time I used it. Kept my foot hovering above the brake pedal just in case it didn't come to a complete stop. ;)

Peter

I believe that is the Adaptive Cruise Control with the Stop and Go feature. I've used that once and it was a little nerve-wracking the first time I used it. Kept my foot hovering above the brake pedal just in case it didn't come to a complete stop. ;)

Peter
Haha yeah. Took me a while to fully trust it, but I do now and it works great. Need to keep an eye on it and all, but makes highway so easy.

Back