• Register Today It's free!

Custom Winch Bumper

KSE_rules

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Limited v8, 4x4 Gold
So I'm looking into getting a custom winch bumper made for my 2007 Explorer.
Only problem is that where the front bumper is and how it's shaped.
I will more than likely decided to just cut it under the fog lights and such.
But I'm not quite sure how it will work.
Talked to a custom shop in the area to just kinda get a rough price and they said 400-500 plus I'd have to buy my own winch plate and winch obviously.
Not sure if this is the best route to go or not.
Any input would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you really need a winch on the Ex? These trucks aren't as off capable as say a Jeep. I say unless you do major off roading or mudding you don't need a winch.

Nope don't need it all. But it's something I really want to get done to the truck.

If you're not dead set on an actual bumper - Sterling Equipment makes winch-capable brush guards (The_Electrician has one on his 4th Gen if you search around).

If you really do want a bumper (btw, $500 sounds like a bit of a steal for a quality offroad winch bumper), then I'd say remove the factory steel bumper (bolts up just below the grill center piece) and have your custom bumper bolted into position in its place.
This will give you a decently sturdy winching point.
You'll have to trim the front trim up quite a bit, but that helps with clearance too.

As far as styling, you do what you want. You could just do a simple DOM tube bumper and go for a pre-runner look or you could get something more hefty (see n.gardner's 3rd Gen). Obviously, the headlights on the 4th Gen are not nice and square, but you (or whoever) could cut a straight line across the front trim below the headlights to create a straight styling line.

If you need ideas, just search Google for 4Runner bumpers or something else vaguely similar in shape/color to your Explorer (Toyo bumper examples are very easy to find in google).

Not to hijack but I'm looking for a winch solution as well. Could a front receiver work for these ex's?

Curt makes a front receiver hitch that you could mount a winch cradle to. The receiver part hangs kind of low though.

Back