• Register Today It's free!

Cylinder head replacement.

Jesse keith

Reaction score
City, State
Robertsdale, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ExplorerXLT 4X4 4.6
Was wanting to know if somebody could tell me if tye heads off a 2003 crown vic would fit my 2004 explorer. And if it can be done with the motor still installed in my truck

Was wanting to know if somebody could tell me if tye heads off a 2003 crown vic would fit my 2004 explorer. And if it can be done with the motor still installed in my truck
Typically the cylinder heads themselves will physically bolt up on an Explorer 4.6L. But some modifications may be required to complete the installation depending on the rest of the accessories, timing cover and things of that nature to make everything 100% match up correctly. We've never personally tried to do one with the engine still in an Explorer though to be honest. Not sure if you could easily get the head out from under the cowl.

Typically the cylinder heads themselves will physically bolt up on an Explorer 4.6L. But some modifications may be required to complete the installation depending on the rest of the accessories, timing cover and things of that nature to make everything 100% match up correctly. We've never personally tried to do one with the engine still in an Explorer though to be honest. Not sure if you could easily get the head out from under the cowl.
The motor doesnt tuck under like some do. Im asking about the crown because I was given info on a car that was junked with new remand heads on it. An I can buy the heads for $60 a piece

Back