Damaged Fuel Line Fitting

zinc03gt

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
:(
Went to replace the filter on my 2000 XLT 4.0 V6 today. The pressure in the system was released and proceded to remove the engine side fuel filter fitting with no problem. However, when I got to the fuel tank side of the filter, I noticed the collar with the lock tabs had a dent in it. Could not get the filter tube to slide out from the fuel line. Now I'm thinking I have to replace that fuel line just to be able to replace the filter. Anyone ever had this problem??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the fuel line disconnect tool?
Something like this?
7881.jpg

What a weird item to be damaged in that fashion and I think many are stainless which is tough and strong anyway the rib those lock tabs bite into are substanially smaller than that quick connect opening so the nipple may slide out.
Probably better luck squishing it in there with the cheap plastic tools found at most stores for $10.

Thanx, but I already have a fuel connector release tool. I was wondering if there was anyone who had experience with a damaged connector.

Thanks windors03cobra, I'll try using one of the cheap plastic tools and see if works.

This is the type I am speaking of, I stole this pic from summit racing on ebay.
Napa does sell a replacement fitting for that in addition to a new clip to insert to a fitting with a bad clip.
Guessing its the nylon fuel line in which case putting a new fitting on can be interesting, I suppose a good heat gun works wonders.
Napa has this type of tool too.
lil-37000_w.jpg

Good luck.

As a last resort I once had to use a nylon fuel line repair kit. About $20. Also needed a short piece of high pressure fuel line and some clamps. I put 2 clamps on each connection. The other choice was to replace the complete line. Did this 8 months ago and have had no problems with it.

Might help to hose it down with PB Blaster. Then turn the line clockwise and counterclockwise to get the fitting lubed up. I had to do this for about five minutes while shoving the disconnect tool in place to get mine to loosen up.

I would not use a heat gun anywhere near a fuel line...

As a last resort I once had to use a nylon fuel line repair kit. About $20. Also needed a short piece of high pressure fuel line and some clamps. I put 2 clamps on each connection. The other choice was to replace the complete line. Did this 8 months ago and have had no problems with it.
Hello, I have a 2000 explorer 4.0 SOHC and when I tried to replace the fuel filter the fuel line broke just above the collar. The kit that you are talking about of one of those brass barbed fittings for nylon. I called the parts stores around me and the hoses they have on stock go up to 50 PSI. Will this work?
Thanks,
Gabriel

It should work. Search fuel line repair kit. That is what I used. Dorman brand I believe.

I tried to change the filter on my 01 5.0 the other day and was not successful. The hoses wouldn't come off the filter on mine either. I pushed the plastic tool into the fitting over and over and nothing. What a stupid design. Why didn't they just use hose clamps. Woulda been cheaper.

I tried to change the filter on my 01 5.0 the other day and was not successful. The hoses wouldn't come off the filter on mine either. I pushed the plastic tool into the fitting over and over and nothing. What a stupid design. Why didn't they just use hose clamps. Woulda been cheaper.

They can be suborn sometimes. If you stay persistent and spray the fittings with PB to loosen up the rust you can normally get them out. Try twisting the filter in the fitting as well and pushing the filter back and forth. I've had ones that have taken over 25mins to change because the little barbs inside holding the filter were so overgrown with dirt and rust.

I tried spinning the filter alot. I could understand it if they were really dirty, but mine are clean as hell. I destroyed the plastic tool trying to remove the lines. I need to get a new one. Are the ones pictured above metal versions from Harbor Freight?

I used a plastic 5/16" tool on mine. The disconnects weren't dirty on the outside but the spring clips inside had grit in them. Check out this thread for some helpful pictures: Link

I tried spinning the filter alot. I could understand it if they were really dirty, but mine are clean as hell. I destroyed the plastic tool trying to remove the lines. I need to get a new one. Are the ones pictured above metal versions from Harbor Freight?

Yes the pictured set came from Harbor Freight tools...They usually run under $20 and they will not deform like the plastic ones when you have to put lots of pressure on the tool to loosen the fitting...

What I did was take a medium sized hose clamp, like the one that holds maybe a one inch pipe, cut up enough of the metal to tightly wrap around the fuel filter neck/stalk and push it in with a screw driver, it serves the same as a disconnect tool but being metal you can see it has entered all around. Then work the fuel pipe a little in each direction with a plier.

But not to much if you see more then a millimeter of the wrapped metal you improvised, push it back into the fitting. And try again.

If in doubt or no success abandon and go to plan B! As the fuel pipe/lead can break/tear.

Good luck.

Back